Swa?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Everything in life isn't about your W2.
You're absolutely right PCL, it's not all about the W2.

Some of us signed on willingly to this operation, and some got dragged in kicking and screaming from an organization that they viewed as perfect from their particular perspective.

I feel sorry for those that got their world turned upside down, I know I wouldn't be happy on the receiving end of an upset of my status quo.

In the end, you were able to make it work out for you personally and I'm happy for you in that respect. Others seem to be making it work on their end by staying and letting the new reality sink in. The vast majority seem to enjoy the new work environment and the people they are working with.

Life in general and this industry in particular, is fraught unpredictability and unexpected consequences. Some roll with the punches and remain in this crazy field and some choose to move on to different endeavors. I hope you do well and don't end up missing the crazy lifestyle that some of us don't know how to give up.

You can not drop a trip.

Sure you can, provided there is a positive net zero in ELITT. We used to be able to trade down to 65 TFP (IIRC), but we "improved" that with the current contract and now can only trade down 4 days worth. Along with DTC, JA at work, (instead of from home where you could screen calls, turning everyone into online reserves) it was a huge QOL "win" for us at the negotiating table!

You can attempt to get somebody to take it from you via TTGA. Try doing that with a weekend trip in May or June. Won't happen.

True

At other airlines, coverage permitting, trips can be dropped - ie given back to the company.

See above.

Not saying I don't enjoy going to work. I am saying that there are lot of industry standard improvements that, in my opinion, should be implemented to improve the quality of life for employees. Most shouldn't have to be negotiated, they are just the right thing to do.

Agreed 100%. But we never even ask for them.......

Parking should be paid for because, well... how do you expect your people to get to work? Bicycle? Taxi?

For years, the DAL folks didn't pay for parking, so it wasn't a problem.

Crew meals should be provided when you ask someone to work for 11+ hours without an opportunity for a meal break - especially during international trips when you can not feasibly leave the aircraft.

But, with SL12/14, we voted to not have any crew meals (or international override, or to be able to leave the aircraft etc.), so this is exactly what we ASKED for.

It has nothing to do with enjoying your work. It is about treating people with respect and understanding their needs.

People get the respect that they demand.

Pretty much every item you've highlighted was "negotiated" by SWApA, and voted for by the membership, after the obligatory SWApAganda (vote YES!) campaign, of course.........

Last edited:
I don't understand how you say that you can drop via ELITT. You can trade down via ELITT provided there is a positive net zero - but not drop.

For example, I have a weekend 3 day I need to get rid of for a family event. I would need to either find another 3 day I wanted to trade with on ELITT, or wait for net zero to go to 1 or 2 and then trade down to a 1 or 2 day (provided one existed somewhere that I wasn't already working). Those stars rarely align.

That's not the same as dropping.

As far as the rest of your post, i appreciate learning the genesis. Hopefully we can change some of that for the better in the future.

I don't understand how you say that you can drop via ELITT. You can trade down via ELITT provided there is a positive net zero - but not drop.

For example, I have a weekend 3 day I need to get rid of for a family event. I would need to either find another 3 day I wanted to trade with on ELITT, or wait for net zero to go to 1 or 2 and then trade down to a 1 or 2 day (provided one existed somewhere that I wasn't already working). Those stars rarely align.

That's not the same as dropping.

If you want to drop a 3 day, for example:. When net zero is plus 3 or greater, trade 2 of your trips, including the one you want to drop, for one out of ELITT. If you prefer one of the trips you originally had, immediately trade it back. You now have dropped a 3 day.

I agree that its not the same as being able to just give it back to the company.

FWIW, it was much easier to trade down (not to mention up and sideways) via ELITT before SWApA "got" us DTC (they were so considerate by not even bothering the pilots with a DTC SL to vote YES! on) and we "gained" the DC BS with the wonderful TA2 (which wasn't as good as TA1, but "we" still voted YES! for it) but it is still possible.

The SL 117 "buffers" are yet another, "hard won" "gain", that, like DTC and DC stifles both flexibility and productivity, but that's a good thing, right? Why else would "we" vote YES! for it?

As far as the rest of your post, i appreciate learning the genesis. Hopefully we can change some of that for the better in the future.

Hopefully.

I think the tide is definitely turning away from the vote YES! (even when it hurts us) mentality, but we haven't had a trial by fire yet. We have some good folks on the BOD now. I just hope it's enough......

I'll believe it when "we" either: get a reasonable contract to vote YES! for, or "we" vote NO! for a crummy one. Until then, the jury is still out.

If you want to drop a 3 day, for example:. When net zero is plus 3 or greater, trade 2 of your trips, including the one you want to drop, for one out of ELITT. If you prefer one of the trips you originally had, immediately trade it back. You now have dropped a 3 day.

I agree that its not the same as being able to just give it back to the company.

FWIW, it was much easier to trade down (not to mention up and sideways) via ELITT before SWApA "got" us DTC (they were so considerate by not even bothering the pilots with a DTC SL to vote YES! on) and we "gained" the DC BS with the wonderful TA2 (which wasn't as good as TA1, but "we" still voted YES! for it) but it is still possible.

This sounds like you're a captain. Net Zero above 0 only exists on the FO side for a few seconds on the 25th of each month. And then you will see a 1, on occasion, throughout the month if you stay logged in to CWA 24/7.

This sounds like you're a captain. Net Zero above 0 only exists on the FO side for a few seconds on the 25th of each month. And then you will see a 1, on occasion, throughout the month if you stay logged in to CWA 24/7.

Yeah, I am..... May is the first month since last Sept that it's remained at 0 for more than a few hours after it opens in MCO, and nobody's taking any giveaways, even nice weekday trips. I guess everyone is expecting to kill the POT next month.

Net Zero used to be the only PITA in ELITT.

Thanks to SWApA and the wonderful foresight of our "union" and pilot group, in addition to mandatory online reserve, we've "gained" even more ELITT restrictions!

At other airlines, coverage permitting, trips can be dropped - ie given back to the company.
The portion in bold is the relevant point at SWA. SWAPA could bargain its heart out for this ability but the reserve structure at SWA would never allow a drop even with the technical ability to do so. Southwest traditionally carries less than 10% reserves so that would need to be tackled before any ability to drop "coverage permitting" would be of any benefit.

Latest resources

Back