• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Swa?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I shoot for 12-13 days a month. 16 is a lot. There aren't any lines with only 14 days off per month, so that means you're picking up extra on days off.

Any scoop from you guys on the contract negotiations front? Sure would be nice to see you guys put up some big numbers before we get too far into negotiations.

In mediation. Most non-economic sections have supposedly been agreed upon. Would not expect a TA anytime soon based on what little info the union has provided.

Easy to say when you don't have to worry about money .

Just saying :)

Be that as it may, his point is valid. That pilot group is concerned with W2 at the expense of almost everything else. What other major airline doesn't pay for employee parking? Uniforms? No long call reserve... No dropping of trips... No retirement contribution without matching... Pilots required to sit on jumpseat for deadheads less than 2 hours... No crew meals...

A lot of it wouldn't cost much. It's the principle.

Be that as it may, his point is valid. That pilot group is concerned with W2 at the expense of almost everything else. What other major airline doesn't pay for employee parking? Uniforms? No long call reserve... No dropping of trips... No retirement contribution without matching... Pilots required to sit on jumpseat for deadheads less than 2 hours... No crew meals...

A lot of it wouldn't cost much. It's the principle.

SWA pilots can drop trips....very flexible schedule once you get off reserve. The sitting on Jumpseat less than two hours is very seldom used. Matter of fact they really don't do it unless the pilot asks to. Yes, that happens when a pilot wants to help get a non rev or rev person onboard. Done mostly to help commuters.

Yes parking no reimbursement. (Unless close in for short notice reserve).
True no provision for uniforms.
New contract may address retirement. They do have profit sharing.
Crew meals may come on international.

Some things are not perfect. In many respects run a lot like a big regional. But many still enjoy everyday they go to work.

IMHO

You can not drop a trip. You can attempt to get somebody to take it from you via TTGA. Try doing that with a weekend trip in May or June. Won't happen.

At other airlines, coverage permitting, trips can be dropped - ie given back to the company.

Not saying I don't enjoy going to work. I am saying that there are lot of industry standard improvements that, in my opinion, should be implemented to improve the quality of life for employees. Most shouldn't have to be negotiated, they are just the right thing to do.

Parking should be paid for because, well... how do you expect your people to get to work? Bicycle? Taxi?

Crew meals should be provided when you ask someone to work for 11+ hours without an opportunity for a meal break - especially during international trips when you can not feasibly leave the aircraft.

It has nothing to do with enjoying your work. It is about treating people with respect and understanding their needs.

Last edited:
You can not drop a trip. You can attempt to get somebody to take it from you via TTGA. Try doing that with a weekend trip in May or June. Won't happen.

At other airlines, coverage permitting, trips can be dropped - ie given back to the company.

Not saying I don't enjoy going to work. I am saying that there are lot of industry standard improvements that, in my opinion, should be implemented to improve the quality of life for employees. Most shouldn't have to be negotiated, they are just the right thing to do.

Parking should be paid for because, well... how do you expect your people to get to work? Bicycle? Taxi?

Crew meals should be provided when you ask someone to work for 11+ hours without an opportunity for a meal break - especially during international trips when you can not feasibly leave the aircraft.

It has nothing to do with enjoying your work. It is about treating people with respect and understanding their needs.

Agree on all points....can't say I don't

Latest resources

Back