SWA Winglets - It's Official!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
G4G5 said:
I am pretty sure that the G3/G2B were the first with winglets. And IMHO the G3 is still the best looking corporate aircraft

If you are talking business jets, I believe Lear claims the first with the Lear 28 (August, 1978). Gulfstream GIII's first flew in December, 1979, followed by the GIIB in March 1981 and now the GIISP (with Aviation Partner Boeing blended winglets).

From what I remember, Gulfstream stopped conversion of GII's to GIIB's because the -IIB's were a much better performer (and cheaper) than the -III because they were slightly smaller and lighter, with the same rated Spey engines that were on the -III.

**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**..
I almost had it too..

Thats ok..
I will just put it on my desktop..

Its way cool in my book..

Good idea MLB!

Desktop....,Ah, excellent idea....it looks so nice. Now if I was just sitting in that right seat....

Some day soon.:)

It is an excellent desktop background. Be sure to get the high resolution image from the link in the first post.

Mike,

I know he's not a SWA 737-700, but I could hook you up with several shots of "UGA V"...There are plenty of SWA 737s on this board, but I've only seen two photos of "UGA". ;)

Tell me that ain't the best looking mascot you've ever seen.

Yahtz

OK..

"It" aint!!
"It' looks like it could go a few rounds with Robert Shapiros plastic surgeon and have a few bags left over..

Mike

Re: Re: ATA took the lead

StopNTSing said:
That's right...and I'll bet they paid WAY more for them than SWA did. :D The only reason we're finally getting them is because Boeing finally came down on the cost.

The real reason was that the cost of jet fuel has gone high enough and will continue to be high enough to justifiy the cost of winglets..At the lower prices it would have taken too long to realize a return on the investment..
Other items you may see come to SWA in way of improvements will be auto-throttles as well as full up "V"nav..

As for the question of the 300s/500s..Both models are long enough in the tooth to not be cost effective for a major improvement like winglets..Some folks will ask why we are putting the dual FMCs as well as the new flat panels in the 300s..

The very high cost of maintaining the steam gauges has made it cost effective to replace them with the panels and the second FMC allows us to take advantage of upcoming systems..

You very well may see the first 300 retired before that last 200 goes away..

Mike

I was told in DAL last week that the price has dropped from close to $2 million per aircraft to $400K in the last 2 years. Patience pays off.

V1Cutt said:
I was told in DAL last week that the price has dropped from close to $2 million per aircraft to $400K in the last 2 years. Patience pays off.

But how more gas have you burned in those 2 years??????

Latest resources

Back