• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA vs UPS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you've never flown night freight, it's a world of difference. You don't end up at the terminal, you end up at some weird place halfway across the airport. No Starbucks for you!
If you think airline flying is the least bit romantic, hanging out on the freight ramp is pretty much the opposite of being captain on a Pan Am 747.

Sitting around a sort is the worst sort of wast of time. That's a huge difference. Do you want to work when you're at work, or simply be forced to sit around? I was looking at some of those layovers--they look good at 50 hours, until you realize you'd really rather be HOME not sitting in some hotel room scared to drink the water because you don't want to get dysentary for your flight home.

THe sort sucks, guys either sit around drinking coffee and bitching (UPS pilots bitch more than all other pilots put together) or taking a short nap that does more harm than good.

If you need certain days off, you WILL be flying nights and as I've mentioned, flying night freight sucks.

Doing it for 25 years makes me gag at the thought.

Radar-NO-love – are you sure you aren’t a General Lee re-incarnation? In this case one who hates cargo (and UPS in particular) as opposed to hating SWA?

Did you fly for Fedex or UPS? You sound like you flew for a feeder and if so, you’re hardly a spokesperson for the two cargo carriers. It’s sort of like asking an American Connection pilot (TSA or Chautauqua) what it’s like to work for American?

No disrespect but you seem to focus on negative issues only and I don’t think that’s a fair description of any airline. I disagreed with General Lee’s description of SWA (even though I never worked there) and I let him know why I thought he was wrong. Well, I disagree with you as well on several points but mainly when it comes to your overall hostile attitude toward cargo flying and UPS pilots in particular. “…(UPS pilots bitch more than all other pilots put together)…” Unless it was a joke that I missed.

Here are the backgrounds of the new-hire pilots in the last 3 classes. Quite a few of them came from other major airlines.

Are you saying that none of them did any research at all and all are simply ignorant?

Here’s the latest class (that has already been published in our union paper): American Eagle, Air National Guard, Astar, Atlas, Cargo360, Chautauqua, Continental, Delta, Express Jet Gemini, Japan Airlines, Jet Blue, Jet Blue, Northwest, Northwest, US Air Force, US Air Force, US Air Force, US Air Force, US Air Force, Air Force Reserve.

Prior Class: American Airlines, Astar, Chautauqua, Citation Shares, Comair, Comair, Express Jet, Express Jet, Intel, Japan Airlines, Japan Airlines, Jet Blue, Northwest Airlines, , Xtra Airways, United Airlines, US Air Force, US Air Force, US Air Force, US Air Force, US Navy, US Navy.

Prior Class: AirTran, Air Wisconsin, ASA, Gemini, NetJets, Northwest Airlines, Northwest Airlines, Skywest, Spirit, US Air Force, US Air Force, US Air Force, US Navy, United Airlines, United Airlines, United Airlines, World Airways.

Last edited:
I presume you work for UPS because working at Omni as a DC10 FO would NOT afford you the opportunity to buy a car worthy enough for two smoking-hot chicks. You must have UPS money (or earnings potential) to do that...

I real playa like me don't need $$$ to pick up dem chicks. My charming and seductive personality do dat already!! Oh the insecurity!!

Referring to cargo ops.
TSA will get to it eventually. Only a matter of time before they get involved. Unfortunately, thats how they operate.
I'm not sure who turtle works for (you were replying to him/her, correct?) but TSA has "gotten to it" long time ago - there's screening at both Fedex and UPS. We go through screening too but basically you almost never have to wait in line (no pax waiting to be screened).

Did not know that. Thanks for the info. Now, if we could only have a separate screening line, life would be a lot simpler.:beer:

Did not know that. Thanks for the info. Now, if we could only have a separate screening line, life would be a lot simpler.:beer:
How about pilots get exempted from screening all together? I say run an extra invasive background check on all of us - and I mean invasive ;) - and then leave us alone! I know, it ain’t gonna happen…

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back