Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ivauir

SNIKT!
Any of the more experienced SWA guys able to explain the March vacency bid? It looks like we are losing 32 FO slots system wide. With the Jan 12th class I was expecting more slots to open up ... I assume that this has to do with running Capt classes, but does this happen every time we enter an expansion phase or does this seems a little weird to anyone else?

I think it has more to do with vacation. Since captains get more vacation and most vacation is taken over the summer they increase captain manning for the summer, then decrease it in the fall.

T1

I would guess that the January class will hit the line in the April vacancy bid. Since bidding for flying lines for April occurs in March, the April Vacancy bid will close toward the end of February, which seems about right -- several weeks into class when you find out your permanent (or initial) base.

In addition to the usual increase in captains for summer vacation, with lots of new f/o's entering training, I can see the training center wanting to get a jump on the captain upgrades so that the left seat pipeline doesn't get behind the right seat pipeline.

It's coming, guys, it's coming! Merry Christmas, enjoy it at home!

Snoopy

Quote from the guys in DAL." After the Jan class, we have decided not to run anymore FO classes until march. Otherwise it will be unfair to the new hires to have to learn a new checklist and procedures and then one month later learn a new one. So we have decided to just keep the FO manning unchanged until the new procedures go into effect. Then we will be adding two classes a month until we reach a minimum of 392 fo's for 04."

The currently published vacancy bid, like most of the announcements, pronouncements, proclamations and general propaganda that comes from the company only means that they are 'planning' to have a vacancy bid in march. The actual numbers of capts and f/os per base on this copy of the bid doesn't mean diddly. Shortly before the vacancy actually closes for bid (approx jan 28th) a 'revision' will be published that will much more accurately show the numbers of capts and f/os. The fact that they are 'planning' a vacancy bid bodes well indeed. However, as we've all learned, unless your reading about it as history it doesn't mean squat. This bid means I may finally get to upgrade so I too hope it comes to pass BELIEVE me.

still an f/o

GEO: A quote from one of your previous posts....

"By the way as a 5.5 year f/o I've just past the $142,500 mark for the year and still have december paychecks to go (although regretably no holiday pay to help me out).

suffering SWA f/o"

I think I'm not alone in feeling that your "It sucks to be poor little
me because I'm still only an FO" attitude doesn't play well here. It's inconsiderate and disrespectful to the many people on this forum who are out of work, especially going into the holidays. I guess any feelings of thankfulness you may have had over Thanksgiving have worn off. I hope your disgruntled attitude improves when you make Captain, but I'm guessing it won't. Pity.
Time for a perspective check you lucky bastard.

Phil O'Sopher said:
GEO: A quote from one of your previous posts....

"suffering SWA f/o"

me because I'm still only an FO" attitude doesn't play well here. It's inconsiderate and disrespectful to the many people on this forum who are out of work, especially going into the holidays. I guess any feelings of thankfulness you may have had over Thanksgiving have worn off. I hope your disgruntled attitude improves when you make Captain, but I'm guessing it won't. Pity.

Hey Phil - Chill

GEO was trying to pass on a little info - to help out those who are are waiting -

It is tough times for those on the outside looking in and I we all feel for those who are still looking for work.

I think you have overreacted - but that is MY perspective - from your perspective maybe you didn't.

Just don't think it is fodder for flame bait here.

Have a good holiday and good hunting.

back to the original question...

Vacancy Bid...
It's for upgrades...that's all.

Hmmmm, IMHO, while I agree that he is lucky to have a job (as am I), if he's making $142K as an FO this year, he doesn't have much life beyond SWA. He's busting his butt for that kind of scratch.

While it is entirely his doing, I feel that I'd likely be "disgruntled" if I had to work that much too!

Trip,

As disgruntled assomeone who is furloughed or facing the threat of being furloughed? IMHO, I don't think so. This is not meant to flame so my apologies in advance if it comes across that way.

When one chooses to come to SWA you have several choices;

1. Fly your line. (make money)
2. Fly less than your line by giving things away (which is pretty easy to do). (make less money)
3. Fly any level above your line up to the maximum FAA limits. (make more money)

If pilots don't wish to have that option & would prefer to fly with carriers that restrict (not the FAA) the maximum amount one can fly (i.e. the maximum amount of money one can make). It is totally one's choice.

Maybe one's entire life is flying the line and making money & your point is? Do I want you or someone else to tell me how I should live my life? I'm sure you would agree with me that you wouldn't & while you don't say that, your implication is that one could become disgruntled if one does, not necessarily true at all IMHO.

I don't usually respond to the implication that there is something wrong with persons/a company that desires/permits the employees to make the maximum money possible but I like having choices. I call that capitalism & at SWA we practice it with pride and abandonment. When we stop, we'll stop being successful. If one wishes to lay on a lounge chair & sip mamosas, great, if one wants to fly one's butt off, the choice is yours.

I hope all carriers find the formula to make them successful, SWA's/JB/Airtran & other LCCs don't have the only formula. Legacy carriers can too but if they can't find one it won't be the fault of LCCs or the greed of airline pilots. It will be a decision made by the consumer by their choosing where they wish to spend their money.

While it is entirely his doing, I feel that I'd likely be "disgruntled" if I had to work that much too!

A simple axiom, "if what I'm doing hurts, stop doing it". Same rule applies to being disgruntled IMHO. SWA isn't responsible (nor any company) isn't responsible for my happiness, I am. How happy I am in life is not determined by a company but determined by me & how I deal with my choices, the operable word being choices, mine thank goodness.

Again if my soapbox is too strong, my apologies. Cheers,

Latest resources

Back