Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FR8dognit

Good Ole'boys club member
There have been 7 classes by my count so far this year(May 3rd is 8 and May 10th is 9). Just wondering if all newbies are still going to OAK or elsewhere. I had heard somewhere that MDW, MCO or BWI are possible.
Also, for the ones who are already on line that started this year or the end of last year, how long did it take you to bid out of OAK(or are you still there)? Just wondering...any and all experiences will be appreciated. Not knocking OAK....its just seems like a hard commute for me. VERY happy to be here and can't wait to get on property!!!!
Thanks in advance.
FR8

The June vacancy bids just came out. Here are the number of new hires going to each base:

BWI- 1
MCO- 5
OAK- 41
PHX- 1
DAL, HOU, and MDW didn't have any new hires go directly there.

So you should be able to get any of those bases once you have two classes behind you, but of course things may change by the time you get here.

Got on line in Jan.

Never went to OAK. The only guys in my class who did were the ones who bid it.

1 month in BWI (freebie line)

HOU in March (reserve)

displaced to MDW April (reserve)

MCO in May (lineholder) could have been back in HOU as a reserve.

with 5 months online, looks like my class could have any base except DAL, and hold a blank line in the 4 juniormost ones.

Welcome aboard.

Last edited:
How does it go, "Past performance is not indicative of future results," or something like that.

I was on line in January (I think the same class as CF34-3B1 - lucky for us at the beginning of this hiring wave), held MCO for one month (freebie hard line for consolidation), and have sat reserve in MDW (my first choice) ever since. I think I may get a blank line in June or July.

But a new hire in June, for example, is in the middle of this hiring wave, so my guess is they'd sit in OAK for two months (maybe three) before moving on to the next tier of junior bases (BWI, MCO, MDW) and two months or so more for PHX and HOU. DAL is a ways off.

So long as nothing horrible happens in the next year or two, things will move FAST here, and my not-that-informed guess is hiring won't slow down that much in the early fall like it historically has.

As a side note, we seem to be fairly short on FOs in MDW... if I hadn't been sick earlier this month I would have blocked over 95 hours this month. Yikes!

Congrats on the new job... you'll luv it here!

Just a quick reminder, your movement has nothing to do with how long you've been here and everything to do with how many classes are behind you. A few years ago folks were getting stuck in OAK for close to a year because of a lull in hiring, now the folks from the April classes will have ten classes behind them in three months and will be able to hold any base (except maybe DAL).

Thanks for the info

I've got a 5/31 class date so I'll keep my fingers crossed that I don't see OAK. Hoping for MDW or BWI. No complaints however it comes out though because I'll be in class.

Take care,

Vance

T1bubba said:
Just a quick reminder, your movement has nothing to do with how long you've been here and everything to do with how many classes are behind you. A few years ago folks were getting stuck in OAK for close to a year because of a lull in hiring, now the folks from the April classes will have ten classes behind them in three months and will be able to hold any base (except maybe DAL).

Thanks...I realize how things work...hence the need for an updated thread on the subject...just wanting to get a feel for what the guys/gals from the beginning of the year experienced with the number of classes behind them. Sorry you had to wait so long for a different base. I would take a base in Siberia if I had to just to work at this place. Thanks again to all who have responded....keep em' coming...10 more days till class and I am chomping at the bit...can't wait to get there. Got most of the flows down and working on the limitations/memory items. Flight info is what I do on my breaks from studying...

I just want to be prepared so I will have plenty of time to take advantage of the 1-2-3 rule if you know what I mean.

BTW...tid-bit of info for you lurkers....the hotel lady at SWA (forgot her name) mentioned that all of us newbies are at the Holiday Inn Select (Mockingbird & Cedar Springs). Just some info for the ones waiting. Just what she told me so take it with a grain of salt.

See YALL in class!!!!

FR8dognit said:
10 more days till class and I am chomping at the bit...can't wait to get there. Got most of the flows down and working on the limitations/memory items. Flight info is what I do on my breaks from studying...

Seriously? Are you kidding me? Sarcasm? Whoa!

Easy fellers. There's nothing wrong with being excited & prepared to start a new job. It's much easier to learn the flows ahead of time, than to be scrambling to learn them while in ground school. It's a good way to pass the time if you don't have much going on. Like you said....it allows for more 1-2-3 time after class. Have fun in training.

Latest resources

Back