• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA under fire for obesity policy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Do you think "people of size" should buy 2 tickets?

• Yes

Votes: 128 96.2%
  • No

Votes: 5 3.8%

• Total voters
I agree with the principal behind the policy but I feel like they need to publish objective criteria for determining the need for another seat. Baggage rules have dimensions. The best I've seen is if you need a seat belt extender. I have seen two of the same planes by the same carrier one having tighter belts than the other. It is totally right for them to have a policy like this but I think they need to be a little more exact.

---Snoopy

AWACoff said:
I am sick and tired of paying full price for my ticket and then getting only half a seat because some sweaty, fat, business man has rolls of fat falling over the arm rest and squishing me against the fuselage/person next to me/etc.

AWACoff brings up an interesting point. Lets say Mr Smith works for XYZ company and he weighs 350 lbs. In the performance of his duties, he is required to travel to numerous destinations by air. Given that SWA is the company's only choice of airlines, who will purchase the extra ticket, Mr Smith or XYZ company? If it is Mr Smith, is he going to sue XYZ company over some sort of discrimination based on his weight? I can see a whole bunch of lawsuits developing from this policy. (Even though I agree with it). :confused:

I like fat chicks. They keep you warm in the winter and provide shade in the summer. Here's one question I have about SWA's new policy. If they're charging big people for 2 seats then do the big people really get an open seat next to them? Or do they just pack 'em in and make a few $$$ extra off of the big people?

Fat Pax

Recently returned from ORD on a full AA flight (yea baby) and had the pleasure of sitting next to a fat middle aged lady who was upset that I put my/our armrest down between our seats!

I did this to simply keep her "fat carcass" from spilling into my FedEx company paid seat! She stood, pushed her fat rear toward the window and proceeded to squeeze into her "new" space.

I would have asked for ANY other seat if there was one - which there wasn't since AA was full. I'm in "crew rest" sleeping away - OR drinking in first class when I deadhead - I don't need to feel anyone's blubber next to/on me -

Let them pay for two seats - or go to the gym and lose some weight......

Adios

Last edited:
Don't make things too complicated... If one wants higher metabolism, build muscle mass. We all know a V8 burns more than a 4 clylinder at idle. The human body works the same way, muscles burn energy just sitting there, but you have to build them to get the effect.

Exercise is the only way I know of to build muscle mass which also has the effect of burning energy. The other way is to reduce intake. Here is a simple formula:

Intake - Burned = Fat

when Intake = Burned, Fat = zero.

When Intake is greater than that Burned, eventually you will find yourself paying for two seats.

Glad UA or AA doesn't have the same policy, half of their F/A's wouldn't be able work the flight if they did.

I have to agree with the policy. Medical condition or not, no one else should have to suffer sitting next to someone that large. And yes though there are some instances which are medically induced the largest percentage are a direct result of eating garbage food and thinking channel surfing is a competitive sport. I can't remember how many times a fat (excuse me, for the politically correct..Obese, weight challenged, buffet addicted, Ben & Jerry's addicts, Chocoholics, etc) FA has told me I should eat that desert, I'm thin I can afford it. Yeah, not eating that desert and exercising is why I'm fit....that fact is lost on them as they contemplate using a seatbelt extension on their jumpseat (though not allowed).

Let me drag them to the pool, their butts up and down the hills on a bike and then go for a short run....I'll have them "single seat sized" in no time :D

There are several "cures" for obeasity. The best ones are eating less and exercising more. For those who are too far gone, there is a gastric by-pass. 99/100 cases or morbid obeasity can be cured by one of these methods. FYI, the gastric bypass is not cheating or an easy way out. I vote for SWA's policy because it holds people accountable for their lifestyles.

Steve

Weight

My wife went from being 105 lbs before being pregnant to 127 lbs while pregnant, she just had the baby and if she doesn't get her fat a$$ back in the gym and get in shape I'm not going to buy her a single seat even when we go on vacation. Maybe that will motivate her. I don't care if she's not getting any sleep.

Latest resources

Back