Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Captain X

Who is John Galt?
For my own edumacation, can one of you LUV folks e'splain the trip pay system (or your understanding of it -- only said b/c some pretty senior guys I've talked to over there say they don't understand it really all the time).

More specifically, lets say one flew the FAA limits of 30 hours in 7 calendar days, 100 hours in a month, and 1000 hours in a year -- how many "trips" would that be equal to?

30/7 = __ trips.

100/month = ___ trips.

1000/year = ____ trips.

And the pay is per "trip" vs. per block hour correct?

Multiply hours by about 1.15 and that should give you a rough idea.

Yes, pay is based on trips, and there is a correction factor if you go over block.

The only thing done "trip" wise is pay. Hourly is still used for 30/7, etc. To convert our Trip pay to hourly, the contractual conversion is x 1.1393. We are basically being paid one trip for flying @ :53. There are other rules involved contractually, that are probably too cumbersome to elaborate on here (Things like distance being part of the equation). My line for May actually has a higher TFP of 1.17. This is due to my line having more long hauls, which ups the average TFP. So I could say that my "hourly" pay for may will be $125.41, based on my TFP being $107.19. My May line is worth 104 TFP so I will get at least $11,147.76 + per diem for the month based on our system. Hope this answers the question.

TFP=243 miles flown + .1 TFP for every 40 miles per leg. Days and legs are rigged so you may end up with more TFP than the actual miles flown (complicated.....most don't understand it....including me) & overfly for a leg is payed. Anything that lands 3+ hours past sheduled arrival time pays JA pay....1.5 TFP.

A lot of our pilots try to give away or trade their trips for others with less block and more pay. There are some trips that block a lot lower than actual pay. EG--I have a 4 day next month that blocks 22 hours and pays 29 TFP. Thats because the days are rigged and there are dead heads in the trip.

I have heard of some having over 200 tfp in one month...very rare but not unheard of. No life and available any time/anywhere. They had trip pulls for training and lots of VJA pay (Voluntary Junior Available...Junior manned as some call it....we can sign up for that and we will be the first to be called...pays 1.5 regular pay).

Most fly their line (~95-100 TFP total)and pick up a day or two extra (105-115 TFP total). Some pick up a lot....120-130 TFP in a month is about all I can muster.

Hope this helps.
FR8

just wondering why does SWA have such a complicated (at least for me) pay system? why not just pay per hour?

ssssshhhhhh! DO NOT BRING UP THE HOURLY THING.

Our pay was set up this way as a result of our simple beginnings flying around Texas; DAL-SAT, DAL-HOU, SAT-HOU, etc..... They figured a rate for those legs or "trips" and there you have it. Here are some examples:

DAL-SAT blocks at 55 min and pays 1 trip.
DAL-AUS blocks at 50 min and pays 1 trip.
DAL-STL blocks at 1:35 and pays 1.8 trips.
PVD-PHX blocks at 5:50 and pays 6.9 trips.
LAS-SAT blocks at 2:30 and pays 3.1 trips.

Trips for pay, as we call it, works to serve us better than hourly. Most want to keep it this way.

Latest resources

Back