SWA Training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LukinUp

I start training in Feb and was wondering a few things.

1. How long is training?
b. Any LEGITIMATE words of wisdom from any SWA guys/gals? (ie. I wish had known/done this before I went to training.)

I start training in Feb and was wondering a few things.

1. How long is training?
b. Any LEGITIMATE words of wisdom from any SWA guys/gals? (ie. I wish had known/done this before I went to training.)

1. I think 6-8 weeks, depending on your sim schedule.

2. Study the flows. You already have the type rating, so you know the airplane. You're really there to learn our specific procedures. If you've got access to our FOM or flash cards derrived from it, you can study them. If not, however, you'll still have enough class time and time to learn them. Pay attention, practice the procedures, and keep a good attitude. That's really all there is to it.

Good luck, and welcome aboard!

Bubba

Get the flows down before you show up, then do the memory items and limitations. Then you can be first in line at happy hour ever night.

They'll say the first day of class- "relax, it'll be the easiest training you've ever done.." blah blah-

They usually forget to tell you that it'll be that, only if you study and do your work-
Weve had a few that took that line to heart and didn't do their part- have a beer or 3 every night- socialize- have fun- but do your work-

Know limits, EP's and flows well on the first day- and cold by the end of the week-
It's always this way- overkill it slightly and training is really pleasant-

Oh and bring ping pong balls and have fun-
Just remember, it's actually not a good attitude to not know what you're supposed to know-

Biggest: let go of your former life: don't question too much- they'll be time for that after you're on line- and things are changing here all the time- just let it all go and learn swa's way- that's enough for now
Congrats

Attitude is everything. Stay positive, because it is. Congrats! And yes, let go of your former life.

or... be "that guy" who in the class who has to constantly let the instructor know how stupid and backwards and pre-historic everything is here at SWA, and how much better airline X that you worked at before did it.

(this would be an easy trap to avoid falling into except for the fact that everything here at SWA is stupid and backwards and pre-historic)

First off, Congrats and welcome. My advise would be to put 75 percent of your concentration on the sim. You'll be spoon fed what you need to know in class. Don't get wrapped up with crazy details about the aircraft systems. I've found that they want you to know what a switch does when you throw it or what triggers a light to come on, not the exact pressure that a pump operates at. Above advise is right on about letting go of your previous life. Their is always one guy in every class that needs to know every detail, or questions everything the instructor says, don't be that guy...... have a good time, see you on the line.

I wouldn't worry about the sim up front. Try this order..

Get your memory items and limitations down cold before walking in the door.

Once there, start working on the flows. Review the memory items and limitations off and on.

If you just do that you will be way ahead of the game and enjoy some fun times down for happy hour. None of it is overwhelming and there is plenty of time to enjoy yourself.

Welcome aboard! I'm ready to start pulling the rope the same direction.

Don't study. You don't need it. You are there for SIX weeks. Leave your former life behind. Nobody gives a sh!t about ANY of that no matter how cool your parents think it is.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back