• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA training info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A couple of months ago all new hires were staying at the Holiday Inn Select at Love Field.

I start training next month and we are staying at the Holiday Inn Select.

For the interview I stayed at the Renaissance....nice visit. Met with a lot of interviewees in the bar, as well as other SWA pilots who were back getting check rides. This seems to be the hotel of choice for interviews.

I tried calling the Renaissance but said they didn't have a SWA corporate rate. They quoted me $249/night. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow and see if I can get a better rate. I'd much rather stay there than the Raddison or Holiday Inn Select.

I tried calling the Renaissance but said they didn't have a SWA corporate rate. They quoted me $249/night. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow and see if I can get a better rate. I'd much rather stay there than the Raddison or Holiday Inn Select.

Try the Sheraton Suites across the street from the R...then you can just walk over to the bar if you want to network. Good luck.

while I think networking is a MUST...beware of this too. Most of the interviewers stay at the Renaissance and Holiday Inn Select. Your interview might begin the day before your actual interview. This can be good or bad...so becareful. When I went for my interview I got the same tip and decided to just stay as far from that scene as possible. I already had contacts inside SWA and I figured at this point (the night before the interview) being downstairs with interviewers in disguise was not a good idea. No big deal either way, I just don't think it's something to put emphasis on. I would not pay $$$ for the renaissance...it's not worth it, in fact it can bite you in the rear if not careful.

Hey puddlejumper,

Thanks for the advice. I was warned of the same thing to be careful the night before. I made reservations for the Holiday Inn Select but was told it's fairly loud due to the close proximity of LUV.

I managed to get a rate just now at the Renaissance for $72/night which is only a few dollars more than the Holiday Inn. I probably won't venture downstairs myself but want a comfortable place to stay prior to the interview.

I'm sure the interview process will begin when I get to the ticket counter to travel down to Dallas. The day is drawing near and my fingers are crossed!

Hey puddlejumper,

Thanks for the advice. I was warned of the same thing to be careful the night before. I made reservations for the Holiday Inn Select but was told it's fairly loud due to the close proximity of LUV.

I managed to get a rate just now at the Renaissance for $72/night which is only a few dollars more than the Holiday Inn. I probably won't venture downstairs myself but want a comfortable place to stay prior to the interview.

I'm sure the interview process will begin when I get to the ticket counter to travel down to Dallas. The day is drawing near and my fingers are crossed!

That is the key. The interview starts then and ends when you are in your car heading home from the airport. I would still be looking over my shoulder in the car on the way home.

If you aren't an anti-social dork who can't eat with his mouth closed and don't have a drinking problem there is no reason not to go down to the bar the night before the interview for some dinner and a beer or two. I wouldn't go crazy, but it can actually work in your favor for the interviewers to see you as you really are in a relaxed, social setting instead of the uptight nervous you in the interview room. After all, they are supposedly trying to get to know the real you to see if they could get along with you on a 3 day trip. What do yo think they do on those 3 day trips? They go eat dinner and have a couple of $1 beers.

Just keep in the back of your mind that you are being evaluated every second by everybody and act accordingly. That includes the gate agents, FAs, van drivers and hotel staff. Everybody.

Good luck.

FJ

Dang, I agree to go downstairs and absorb what you can. Meet a few interview candidates and relax. It does make it much easier the next day when you know a few people to talk and relax. You cannot be afraid to screw up, you have to put yourself out there in life.

My husband recently started with SWA and all new hires were at the Holiday Inn Select. That's also where they hold the new hire parties, which happened to be attended by a chief pilot. He was at the hotel for the DB. He sat and visited with all new hires, very nice. So if you plan to go downstairs and meet people, you certainly could be talking with a chief or assistant chief who will decide your future.

A little info I heard from the Dallas chief pilot a couple of weeks ago, the day after their March DB. They reviewed 200 applicants and offerred jobs to 95 of them. That's almost 50%. Also, an observation of my own, based on what I saw while I was there and what the Dallas Chief said - seems alot of military. He said the last 25 pilots that they offerred jobs to were all military, and my husbands class was heavy military also. I think it is just a coincidence, but I did notice it.

Everyone enjoy the experience. Those with class dates coming up, make every effort to include your spouse/significant other in the first two days. I learned information from my tour etc. that my husband didn't even know. They treat you like they have hired not just a pilot but a family. You also learn a lot about benefits etc. that many spouses take care of anyway. You also learn about the bidding process and at least one pilot in the class wanted his wife to bid for him since she knew the family's schedule. So if you want that, make sure you attend.

Latest resources

Back