Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fiel12

That's Ridiculous!
Just curious as to what initial training pay is at SWA.
Is there any per diem paid while in initial training?
Oh, and one more thing. What is first year FO pay?

Thanks for any info!

Just curious as to what initial training pay is at SWA.
Is there any per diem paid while in initial training?
Oh, and one more thing. What is first year FO pay?

Thanks for any info!

First year pay rate is $44.15 per trip. A reserve line pays 84 to 96 trips. Most reserves end up with over 100. I don't know exactly but I think they pay you 84 trips a month while in training but no per diem. I'm sure someone with more recent knowledge will chime in. Health coverage starts immediately. Its a basic plan but the plan you choose starts in 30 days. There are at least 3 different plans you can choose from.

After you get on line (about 6 weeks) any open time you pick up pays second year rate which is $74.49. So basicly if you want to work at it you can do alright your first year or you can just fly your schedule and get 90 or more trips at $44.15. Its a livable wage and you have lots of control if you need more.

First year pay rate is $44.15 per trip.

After you get on line (about 6 weeks) any open time you pick up pays second year rate which is $74.49.

Current rates are $45.90 1st year and $77.45 2nd year

Last edited:
what constitutes a trip?

A "trip" is short for "Trip for Pay" (TFP). It's the unit of pay for SWA pilots and flight attendants. If you're comparing SWA pay to nearly everyone else, figure 1.1 trips equals one 1.0 block hour of credit. That's why you'll see talk of a conversion on www.airlinepilotcentral.com, and why the hourly pay rates there don't match our "trip" pay rates exactly.

The credit value (trip value) for any given city pair is based on the mileage between those cities. I forget the exact numbers but I think the first 243 miles is one trip, then every 40 subsequent miles is another 0.1 trip. The first trip isn't prorated, so the minimum pay for any leg (like DAL-AUS, DAL-HOU, or MCO-RSW) is 1.0 trips. Longer legs pay more, obviously.

There's way more to our pay than the credit value of each leg (such as duty rigs and minimum pay per duty), but SWA pilot pay is based on mileage, not block. Yes, we get paid extra if we overfly much over our scheduled block, but we're always paid at least the trip value of a given city pairing even if we consistently under block. We're not really paid by the hour, and so we're not worried about "preserving the block" like other carriers I've worked at.

45.90 trip pay X 1.13=per hour rate.

Pay while in training went something like this for me. They gave you a flat $2,000 advance for the first 3 paycheck. They take back part of the advance on the fourth. Got online in Dec and my lowest trip count for the month was 97 because I didn't pick anything extra up and gave some stuff away. The highest was 131 after picking up a 3 day (77.45 rate) during my 10 day break. I've seen some guys in the 40's and 50's.

Not to change the subject or hijack the thread. Does anyone know which hotel the new hires stay at? Have an interview coming up soon and prefer to stay at the same place.

Thanks!

Latest resources

Back