Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA today like the airline in the book, "Nuts!"?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just want to make sure I understand correctly .

You are saying most SWA pilots would like one pay scale. Q400,737, 787 ?

Yes

For the reasons I stated

But be clear- the plane pays more- virtually nobody would sign up for that- but it's blended in to the one pay rate-

Fly the airplane you want, not the one you feel like you financially have to.

One rate- leads to a delta like culture

Last edited:
Kharma,

We all have our opinions, but I'd say 'most' SW pilots would agree on same pay for narrow bodies...no matter what size they are. Widebody would probably be a different payscale, even though I get where Wave is coming from. People at the end of their carrier chasing the large plane for more money sucks. They look like the walking dead most of the time due to the crappy schedules. Remember we have Zero redeyes here, so the flying is pretty easy.

Redeyes aren't so bad. . . . . Beats a 4:30 a.m. van to a 3 leg day.

With a redeye, you usually do one leg to the West Coast. Layover for 24 hours, fly one leg back. You finish by 7:eek:o a.m. or so. . . . Go home, take a nap. Not a big deal.

If you're a commuter, though, they suck, because once you finish, you have to sit around for hours waiting for your flight home . . . that's when your eyes start to bleed. :laugh:

Last edited:
Yes

For the reasons I stated

But be clear- the plane pays more- virtually nobody would sign up for that- but it's blended in to the one pay rate-

Fly the airplane you want, not the one you feel like you financially have to.

One rate- leads to a delta like culture
Uh, no, the 787/widebody is a game changer, they will pay industry or they wont have a contract.

The bite on giving the 800 the same rate as all the other 737's was simply the threat at the time, introduction of a smaller airframe. Smaller airframe, same pay as a 737. If you bring in widebody, far international, then we have a different story, and different pay scales.

UPS does it...

Actually they don't, they have narrow body and separate wide body rates. UPS also wears brown uniforms but please, let's just stick with loud ties and Fonzi jackets.

Last edited:
Actually they don't, they have narrow body and separate wide body rates. UPS also wears brown uniforms but please, let's just stick with loud ties and Fonzi jackets.

Your posts always make me laugh :)

SBII,

So what are you saying the pay should be for Q 400. ?

Since pilots gave them the 800 for same as the 700, they get the Q400 for the same as the 700. Now, I know they can't make that work, but it's our starting point.

Redeyes aren't so bad. . . . . Beats a 4:30 a.m. van to a 3 leg day.

With a redeye, you usually do one leg to the West Coast. Layover for 24 hours, fly one leg back. You finish by 7:eek:o a.m. or so. . . . Go home, take a nap. Not a big deal.

If you're a commuter, though, they suck, because once you finish, you have to sit around for hours waiting for your flight home . . . that's when your eyes start to bleed. :laugh:

I understand Ty, and I'm glad there are people that like them. I'm on the opposite end of that equation.

I'll take the early van (not sure I've ever seen a 4:30 one though...ouch)and three legs to base by Noon. I live in base, so I'm in my house by 1pm with drink in hand by the pool. If you commute, your on your flight by 2pm typically.

To each there own. I like a half day off on my last day with no need for a nap.

You headed this way soon?

Uh, no, the 787/widebody is a game changer, they will pay industry or they wont have a contract.

The bite on giving the 800 the same rate as all the other 737's was simply the threat at the time, introduction of a smaller airframe. Smaller airframe, same pay as a 737. If you bring in widebody, far international, then we have a different story, and different pay scales.

I'm not sure we disagree... Yet.

I want a rate set for whatever widebody we MAY get- I just want that new rate blended in to everyone's pay scale -

If you want a legacy type subset of widebody pilots who individually get paid much more than the rest of us- then yes; we disagree and I hope our pilot group is WISER than that.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back