Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA today like the airline in the book, "Nuts!"?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You have zero leverage. Nada, nothing, zip. He knows that you'll do as your told, no matter what he does. You will apply zero pressure, apart from stern glances and slightly less festive ties.Your pilot groups collective personality is built upon a relationship that no longer exists.

Your boss hired an ex ALPA President. That's like the Israelis stealing the Iranians head of Nuclear Programs. I know that's a poor analogy due to the massive difference in relative IQ, but bear with me.

The good news is that SWAPA can read about BATNA in the Wikipedia article that they contributed to. They can also enjoy the phrase "the first offer is always the best".

'Hoisted by your own Petard'. :D

yes I realize that this applies to me too. Hoping nobody notices

Last edited:
You have zero leverage. Nada, nothing, zip. He knows that you'll do as your told, no matter what he does. You will apply zero pressure, apart from stern glances and slightly less festive ties.Your pilot groups collective personality is built upon a relationship that no longer exists.

Your boss hired an ex ALPA President. That's like the Israelis stealing the Iranians head of Nuclear Programs. I know that's a poor analogy due to the massive difference in relative IQ, but bear with me.

The good news is that SWAPA can read about BATNA in the Wikipedia article that they contributed to. They can also enjoy the phrase "the first offer is always the best".

'Hoisted by your own Petard'. :D

yes I realize that this applies to me too. Hoping nobody notices

Wow, someone needs to get laid...

Your negativism, hatred, and general pessimism to all things Southwest and SWAPA are duly noted. Fortunately, no one on this side cares what you think about this. Least of all, the people actually negotiating for us.

Jeez... are you sure you're not secretly negotiating for the company?

And yes, despite the little font and yellow color, we noticed...

Bubba

Wow, someone needs to get laid...

Your negativism, hatred, and general pessimism to all things Southwest and SWAPA are duly noted. Fortunately, no one on this side cares what you think about this. Least of all, the people actually negotiating for us.

Jeez... are you sure you're not secretly negotiating for the company?

And yes, despite the little font and yellow color, we noticed...

Bubba

C'mon really? That's some funny stuff Dicko dished out. I thought the less festive ties was pretty good. I suspect your negotiation process is just far less dramatic than what we are used to. No hostages, or chair throwing or any of that stuff.

C'mon really? That's some funny stuff Dicko dished out. I thought the less festive ties was pretty good. I suspect your negotiation process is just far less dramatic than what we are used to. No hostages, or chair throwing or any of that stuff.

Well...

It's sometimes to tell the difference between when he's being funny (quite often), and when he's being an ass (to be honest, that seems less often then it used to be).

And so far, the only hostages have been the "Flattish won't Fly" tags, although apparently, they were rescued.

Bubba

On that note, a question: SWAPA agreed to fly the -800 at the same pay rate as the rest of the fleet. Did that agreement have an expiration date with a snap up provision to higher pay rate? If not, do you think your upcoming contract will have a separate pay category for the -800 and the -MAX?

For reference - AirTran did not fly the -800, but had options for them. If they had arrived on property, the AirTran contract already specified that those aircraft will see a 13% hourly pay increase over the -700 fleet.

Two things

A- we don't want divided rates here and most agree-
If we bought 787's, we'd want one increased rate for everyone and not get into the divided carrot chasing career others have

B) if gk and execs are getting raises/ I better also
That's a common sentiment

Not trying to throw stones since I'm by default part of the "family" but since you have already gladly given them pretty much everything they want (with no provision to get it back), you have nothing to negotiate other than to try and keep what you have. Good luck SWAPA, we're all counting on you.....

This pretty much sums it all up. All the usual suspects from the SWAPA side who post here have told us many times the first offer is always best.

Why has SWAPA not inked a deal

I just finished reading the book "Nuts!" which was a very good and insightful read. I did think it was interesting reading through the chapters and realizing that the airline described in the book specifically the management style doesn't appear to resemble the airline today. Do any "Real Southwest" pilots agree or will I see things vastly different when I'm off to Dallas someday soon for two months?

Definitely not the same but still the best place I ever worked. Just not the same as it was. Too big I guess. GK is just a lot different but no one could follow Herb. When you come over you will still be very pleased. I promise everyone will treat you well. Utopia it aint but it aint bad neither

This pretty much sums it all up. All the usual suspects from the SWAPA side who post here have told us many times the first offer is always best.

I think they mean the first agreed-upon, negotiated TA. Not the first thing that comes out of the other side's mouth. We're nowhere near that yet. Does that answer your question, or did you really actually have a question?

Bubba

No. We told you time and time again that with the SLI agreement, the first negotiated deal would probably be the best. You guys scoffed and puffed out your chest and told us we were crazy. The facts in the end proved what we said. The second deal sucked. You had one good bite at the Apple and the MEC choked on it.

Hiring Randy Babbit doesn't concern me at all. You think he's some highly paid, highly sought after hired gun? Please.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back