SWA to train 48 newhires in next 2 month

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey Slug,

Just curious, if you were called back to UAL and offered a class date with SWA the same day, which would you take?

Two more classes in Aug

To all readers,

I am going to confirm with my chief pilot tomorrow & the PD about the word I heard today, 2 more classes are firmed up for Aug!!! The captain who told me got the word straight from my chief pilot so I am willing to go ahead & confirm what has been reported by others above on this subject but will talk to him personally tomorrow about. Don't know class size or anything else but will get details tomorrow. Just got back from a 4 day trip after weather problems over Houston last Saturday that resulted in getting the airplane in DAL 8 hours late. Everything else was fine but a great lesson to pass along to everyone out there.

I flew with several Capts (I was on reserve & they come & go sometimes) but two of them are folks others don't really care to fly with, or so their rep is. Well in fact, the first guy I had a great time with & while he was a little short with the FAs at time otherwise he turned out to be just fine. In fact I ended up talking about his "rep" & the fact that many folks who add to the "urban legend" I have found out haven't flown with him when I've confronted them about the guy in the past. The 2nd guy is somewhat the same way but again it turned into a Mutt & Jeff show all day today & made the day go fast. You'll be asked about how you deal with difficult capts with reputations that maybe less than sterling & be prepared to talk about how you handle it.

Sorry for the rambling, I do enjoy the people here as you can tell. Hope many of you will be able to join us soon. Continue to be patient & focus on what is important in your life, family, friends, faith & whatever else you find important. Take care & God Bless, cheers,

Yeah!!

Now wouldn't that just be Jim-Dandy!!!!

Let's hope it's true... I'm running out of sunscreen and there's some folks in the deep end who need to touch bottom and take a break from tredding. Keeping fingers crossed for more good news. Thanks Chase for keeping us as informed as possible.

Regards,

RightBettor:)

Chase,

You made my day, thanks for the update!

Now if I can just make one of those classes... It's getting a little old driving by BWI every day on the way to my desk job, watching all those jets come and go.

T1bubba

More intel

I've confirmed with the folks I trust that the "near" future looks bright for new hires at SWA.

Back in June I believe when the first word of the July class was confirmed I was told there were 2 more classes tentatively scheduled for Aug. This appears to still be the case, no the PD aren't filling classes so pls don't call them to confirm/deny this. Again, THEY ONLY DEAL WITH THE NEAR TERM & NO RUMORS (had to put that in for Jenn, Amanda, everyone's sake there!!!)

Additional indicators are that the flight ops side is readying itself for a sudden & rapid increase in the number of new hire training. I won't go into detail but one of those factors is the outcome of the new contract extension that is being voted on & will be concluded around 19 Aug. Once that is finalized & other factors firm up hiring will increase again. No idea on numbers in classes, dates or anything else, too soon to get that specific. The good news is that things will pick up for those in the pool & this is very important, FOR THOSE WISHING TO INTERVIEW ALSO!!!

Again I have no idea when interviews might start again but certainly sometime in the fall would be realistic if classes are to be filled with current poolies. There is enough poolies to keep classes filled with bodies probably into late this year & early next year.

I don't usually put out news unless I feel pretty confident that it will turn out to be true & while there are obviously factors out there that could change this forecast the future as always looks bright for SWA. 2Qtr results come out tomorrow & will show a profit, the analyst say around $80M, we'll see. That obviously bodes well for us also.

Continue to keep the faith & hang in there. If you have specific questions don't hesitate to PM or ask on here. But again I don't have specific dates, numbers or other details just that more info should be forthcoming soon from flight ops & after 19th Aug when the votes are counted. Good luck & God Bless,

Last edited:
thanks chase...

The "inside" update is mucho appreciated.... just sent my wife out to the boat store to pick up a spiffy , new,comfy Sterns life vest as I am starting to look like a frog with these HUGE legs I am getting from all of the tredding going on here!!!:)

While we are on the topic of the extension of the existing 2004 contract date... how is the voting coming along?? Last I heard it was running about 60/40 FOR.... still running about the same???

Have a great day all!! More good news is ALWAYS nice to hear - even if it is just rumors, at least they are happy:p rumors!!!!!

Regards - Tredding (chlorine drinker #90)

Just curious, if you were called back to UAL and offered a class date with SWA the same day, which would you take?

Slug

Do you mind sharing with us all?

And possibly burn a bridge? Don't be surprised by who reads this board and how easy it is to figure out who is typing! I don't know Slug but I can guess his answer. I'll bet he's smart enough not to answer on a public forum, though.

Good Luck All,
shootr

I'm not sure there is any bridge to burn. Slug has a number at UAL and he's in the pool at SWA, having jumped through all the hoops and been approved for hire.

I suppose I am venturing off from the original thread but I am interested in opinions about the long-term, rest-of-your-career prospects at UAL/DAL/AA/NWA vs SWA from anyone who has been hired by both.

Latest resources

Back