SWA to suspend interviews

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DisrespectedJ32

Rumor has it that SWA will suspend interviews within the next two weeks. They may restart interviewing at the end of the summer.

Anyone know more?

J32

I've heard no interviews in March or April. I asked the same question in another thread this morning. Guess we'll see what responses are posted...

Thoughts about future interviews

Not too long ago late 2001-2003 SWA had 200+ folks in a pool of screened & selected pilots..this occurred because a shut down in hiring due to 911 for around 14 months...the individuals at that time had their lives put on hold & were in limbo for a long time. To the credit of many of them they hung in there & stayed the course. It also cost SWA money to keep so many folks in the pool as it required the maintaining of background checks, other repeated testing & administrative costs to keep such a large pool of applicants ready to be brought into training....well over $1000 per interviewee & more for selectees add up to big money...that is money that isn't wisely spent if SWA can control the size of the pool...shareholders demand we control costs & so do our employees & customers.

It interviews are to take a break for awhile it is in the best interest of everyone, future new hires, current pilots, to keep the pool of selected folks as small as reasonable allows. For those wanting things to happen faster, well this is the airline industry & that doesn't happen but we all know that.

What this does do is remind some of you why no one knows when the hiring clock starts or stops...therefore, delaying to get a type, getting an app in, or any other delays in getting oneself as qualified as possible for a call for an interview is never a good idea. The difference between a day's, week's or month's decision to "do something" can have as dramatic effect as being 2 minutes late in calling for push thereby moving you from #1 in line to #20 for takeoff. A delay can result in many seniority numbers being in front of you!!!

Take this lull (if it does occur, I don't know for sure that it is) to get the things you need to be fully ready for an interview or to do the things you have control over that will make yourself more eligible to get called for interview...the list is long so start working on it now. If you're already ready & fully qualified, go back over everything or start working on the things you didn't think you had time to improve on to make yourself "look" better...for some of us there is no hope :rolleyes: but others out there this may be the time you need. Hang in there & don't get discourage if they take a break.....even if there is a break there are more airplanes & retirements to come so don't worry.....you're regularly scheduled show will return after a brief intermission. Cheers,

DisrespectedJ32 said:
Rumor has it that SWA will suspend interviews within the next two weeks. They may restart interviewing at the end of the summer.

Anyone know more?

J32

This is due to the planned announcement of the purchase/merger agreement between AirTran and Southwest.

SWA had over 300 in the pool for those interviewed Jan-April 02. It took some over 2 years to make it from interview to class.

Some decided not play anymore and went to JetBlue. Some went back on Active duty. Not ideal.

But I am very, very glad SWA packed the pool in 2002. It was worth it.

FL717, now thats a good rumor, only a merger is out of the question. We learned our lesson, purchase the company and provide interviews. Again good rumor though.

I guess that they must have run out of check airmen to call. This way, they're giving all of us checkairman wannabees time to get the credential. :)

Or maybe they just decided that Airways isn't going to tank anytime soon and have scaled back plans.

Hobbes

On the SWAPA forum they had mentioned the interviewing being pushed back because of the 30 extra airplanes that they thought they were going to get but I guess it didnt work out. Time will tell.

Temporary lull in interviewing

Just spoke to some folks who know & I trust...SWA is suspending interviews for next month...no news on when they will start up again. Wanted to confirm through some reliable sources but as always something could change tomorrow. Hang in there & thanks for your interest in Southwest...the wait will be worth it for those willing to. Cheers,

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back