SWA to suspend interviews

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ATA's 737-800's

I just spoke with an ATA pilot.. He said the 800's are being parked in the desert cause China backed out of the deal, and the 757-300's 7 or so are going to Continental, so what's up with the 800's being ETOP?

TheXmanz said:
I just spoke with an ATA pilot.. He said the 800's are being parked in the desert cause China backed out of the deal, and the 757-300's 7 or so are going to Continental, so what's up with the 800's being ETOP?

Not all of the -800s are going away, I believe that the number we are being told now is that 18 of the -800s will be staying on the property.

And we were told at a Road Show specifically that the -800s were going to start picking up hawaii service.

The 800 won't make it across the pond unless they have aux tanks. We just make it in the 700 and our range is 3750 Statute miles and the 800 goes 3383 Statute miles it will fall short..

Last edited:
TheXmanz said:
The 800 won't make it across the pond unless they have aux tanks. We just make it in the 700 and our range is 3750 Statute miles and the 800 goes 3383 Statute miles it will fall short..

I guess ATA's wasting a lot of money on ETOPs certification, then. The plan IS to have the -800's doing supplemental service from the west coast to Hawaii next winter. We have nearly 40,000 lbs of useable fuel in the -800, enough to make the islands even with the APU running.

The 700 has 46,000 lbs of usable fuel, with the APU running @ 250 lbs/hr. The average fuel load from the west coast to the Islands in the summer time is about 37,000 lbs and in the winter it's 42,000 lbs, Ive seen 46,000 lbs loaded many times to make it legal with enroute alternates and ice drag restrictions, at cost index 20 flying at ECON.......Good Luck Mate

Last edited:
Just a note on ATA's -800's CFM Vol II

Fuel 6.7 lbs./Gal

Tank 1 8630 lbs.
Tank 2 8630 lbs.
Center Tank 28803 lbs

Total 46063lbs.

Have a question though. Does Boeing have a way to install HMG's in the 737's or is using the APU the way to go?

Be fun balancing fuel all the time.

Thanks

Yeah, my math was off - I only counted one wing tank. We can count on 46,000 lbs of fuel. Since there is no RAT we have to run the APU the whole way.

I just hope we do the trips with overnights. I need some company sponsored surfing, and my a$$ can't handle the seat for 10 hours a day.

Sounds like the 700 and 800 carry the same fuel. I guess the total distance difference between the two must be the weight. The 700 has a max gross T/O weight of 154,500 lbs. We have to the run the APU the entire time we are in ETOPS airspace. We usually turn it off the last hour of flight.

I just jumpseated on one of your flights from PHX to HNL. Strong winds made it a 6 1/2 hour trip in the 757-300. The crew then turned around and flew back to SFO. Even with a heavy crew that must be tough. The captain said the -300 where going to Continental and were going to be replaced with 767's. You guys must be jazzed about that. I was surprised though how inexpensive the 757's were to lease per month. I think we pay twice the amount for our -700's. Probably why we are in Bankruptcy now....No, wait a minute, its our management :).....I'm glad to here you guys are keeping the -800's, the NG's are a lot of fun to fly....Good luck see you in the Islands.

For those of you wondering what to call Chase, the correct term is "TA$$HOLE!" Scoreboard knows the score, as do few others, but I'll let it my friend in Texas to explain it to the rest of you.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back