SWA to suspend interviews

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FL717 said:
This is due to the planned announcement of the purchase/merger agreement between AirTran and Southwest.

I guess the Southwest guys would really like to see Elton John on the side of their planes. Maybe a merger is the only way to make that happen. Don't worry, I think 75M and I will stay on the 717 for a while! :D

I talked to a CP today, he said the hiring was going to go back to normal levels (one or two classes a month) now that the extra -300's aren't going to happen. Still planning on hiring around 400 for the year though.

FL717 said:
This is due to the planned announcement of the purchase/merger agreement between AirTran and Southwest.

This is the second time today that I've heard this statement made. The first was from a new hire in training at AirTran that said it came from the Chief Pilot in indoc. What would lead to such a rumor? I mean atleast the AirTran/ATA rumor had some validity due to AirTran trying to buy the MDW gates. If there was going to be a merger don't you think that SWA would have just let AirTran buy the gates then merge instead of outbidding them? Just curious as to where this rumor started and by the way I heard that it was SWA going to buy Delta and staple us. (o.k. I was just praying that would happen)

MD-88 FO
Former B-727 Freight Dawg

Possible Furlough

I heard that now that SWA is at the top of the food chain in wages and benefits, they have become a "legacy carrier" and will now begin the long term furlough plan. They hired too many too fast and now feel they are King Kong of the industry.

Not sure how reliable my sources are...

Gumshoe

DAL737FO said:
This is the second time today that I've heard this statement made. The first was from a new hire in training at AirTran that said it came from the Chief Pilot in indoc. What would lead to such a rumor? I mean atleast the AirTran/ATA rumor had some validity due to AirTran trying to buy the MDW gates. If there was going to be a merger don't you think that SWA would have just let AirTran buy the gates then merge instead of outbidding them? Just curious as to where this rumor started and by the way I heard that it was SWA going to buy Delta and staple us. (o.k. I was just praying that would happen)

MD-88 FO
Former B-727 Freight Dawg

In all actuality I made my post as a jab at myself to some of my friends that visit Flightinfo. Those who know me in person, or have flown with me, will recall that I have said for some time that IF AirTran can stay in business, grow, and keep our costs lower than Southwest, that there will be a merger of the two companies (IMO), and I still believe that could happen. While I have heard this rumor here at AirTran, I have also heard merger rumors involving just about every airline in the U.S.

I think your thought process is more inline with reality as you bring up some good points. I was just trying to twist my idea into the current hiring plans at SWA...... but hey.... a kid can still dream can't he?

Please don't go there

fuzzy077 said:
This guy sounds like a walking talking rejection letter. What a knob.

Fuzzy, please don't even start, Chase is the closest thing this board has to gospel as it gets.

PS: have a nice day.

Funny thing is I heard one of our SWA flight attendants saying that there will be another big annoucement made within a couple weeks. Of course we here that once a month and well it might happen 10% of the time. But a merger? Again we don't merge, past experince has proven some important lessons in that catagory that we wish not to repeat.

FL717 said:
...... but hey.... a kid can still dream can't he?

NO! No dreaming allowed!

fuzzy077 said:
This guy sounds like a walking talking rejection letter. What a knob.

Ditto all the positive things people say about Chase. Truly a class act.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back