• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA to keep 717s around after all!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just a WAG, but I'd say the economics of a two aircraft fleet will dictate how fast they go. Especially if there are engine issues...

I don't think Fubi is talking out of his butt on this one. He's just looking at how Alaska eliminated the MD80 fleet prior to the leases expiring. SWA could do that too. At this point it wouldn't surprise me if they did. Obviously I hope they just run the course of the leases to minimize displacements. No AT pilot can bid 737 CA until 2015, so 1 for 1 replacements would be detrimental for our transition. Now that the vote is over we are trying to see if the "other" shoe is going to drop. Or if SWA is really the people first airline it claims to be. Or once was.

Closes 15 Dec. (Don't know why we need 30 days to decide.) There are only 3 choices:

SWA B737 FO (707 slots)
SWA B717 Capt (518 slots)
SWA B717 FO (510 slots)

B717's to be based in ATL and TPA (numbers not determined yet).
All SWA B737 slots will go to SWA domiciles, as there will be no SWA ATL (or SEA) B737 base.

First AT aircraft and crews go to SWA in Feb. Everyone at SWA by 2014 according to the current plan. New SWA domicile to be announced late 2012. Most AT pilots will be commuters to where ever their SWA system seniority (which will not be very high) will allow them to hold. If you are an AT FO you will be lucky if you are not on reserve. If you are an AT Capt you will fare better for bidding, but you will not be able to fly with your favorite Capt until 2015 for the senior ones and much later for the junior ones). This was posted by Sherpalifter on another pilot chat board.

If you are an AT Capt you will fare better for bidding, but you will not be able to fly with your favorite Capt until 2015 for the senior ones and much later for the junior ones). This was posted by Sherpalifter on another pilot chat board.

???

An Airtran pilot who wants to wear four stripes can do it prior to 2015. It just has to be on the 717. Hence the spirit of this thread. Not sure what you meant in your post.

The 717's didn't look good with higher oil prices but that is only in light of the poor lease rates. I would bet that with SWA credit the leases will be redone allowing the airframe to work efficiently.
Days of posturing are over, we are going to be one group. Bid whatever you want. AirTran pilots ARE Southwest pilots now and even if the 717 goes away, you guys are here to stay. Welcome aboard.

Fact- even with high oil prices, Airtran made money flying the 717. The rapid retirement of the DC-9 and accelerated delivery of the 717 is actually what saved the company from bankruptcy. I'm assuming the current lease rates are reasonable, or Airtran would have been long gone. The engines are all owned by Rolls-Royce, so it's "power by the hour", factored into the operating cost. I expect GK to call me any day, to ask me what to do.

From what I was told the lease rates are horrible. They started out cheap but become more and more expensive over time. Southwest didn't know this until they looked at the books.

I heard the company plans to retire 31 classics next year and take delivery of 25+ 800s, so the future of the 717 looks good so far.

Latest resources

Back