• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA to keep 717s around after all!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bill, shootr, slaquer - even Fubi said it- + 400 new hires on the swa side that we're all very protective of that would have to be furloughed first before AT pilots- and any AT new hires that we're all very protective of.

So- make the decision that suits you best- and take the first step in trusting that we aren't saying this for no reason. Time to relax and know you're family from GK down, has your back.

Fact- even with high oil prices, Airtran made money flying the 717. The rapid retirement of the DC-9 and accelerated delivery of the 717 is actually what saved the company from bankruptcy. I'm assuming the current lease rates are reasonable, or Airtran would have been long gone. The engines are all owned by Rolls-Royce, so it's "power by the hour", factored into the operating cost. I expect GK to call me any day, to ask me what to do.

FWIW, I just got back from my PC in Mecca. Terry Gleason (one of the many management types in DAL) came in and talked to the class. He said that the company wants to get rid of the 717s ASAP, and is supposedly working with Boeing to work out some kind of way to make it happen. He specifically stated that SW can't make money with them when the pilots are paid our rates to fly them.

That said, he was very positive about the future of SW......

Just what he said and subject to change.....

Happy Thanksgiving folks......

Last edited:
I think you're right, Trip. The 717s will depart sooner than later. You'll need the pilots on the payroll to cover training issues PLUS the 737s SWA and AAI have on the order books.

Additionally, staffing will need to increase to cover the proposed long-range flying SWA is eyeing. I don't think you need to worry about furloughs too much.

There's no way SWA can get rid of 717's in three years, we're still flying crapamatic -500's fer christ sake.

Why didn't you tell the Airtran guys that during the SLI stuff?

Bye Bye---General Lee

You're dredging Gen -
No need to relive it. We chose the "together" path.
Good try though

You're dredging Gen -
No need to relive it. We chose the "together" path.
Good try though

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back