• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA to keep 717s around after all!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Something to think about for those who bid -717.. Once Jan '15 rolls around, the only way (original)SWA guys can bid into the airplane is if there is a domicile vacancy based on seasonal adjustments. There isn't going to be a system-wide rebid. So.. If you are on the 717 you can stay there for a LONG time even after Jan '15. Realistically, there will be a change of fewer than 10 pilots per month when it opens.

I'm not in the mix, don't work for either place, but:

- Isn't true that until you bid over to the 737/SWA side of the house you are technically not yet an SWA employee?

If that is the case, I would be scrambling to get off the 717 no matter WHAT the lifestyle/pay changes might be.

I'll take the " Bird in the Hand for Five Hundred, Alex."

Just a thought.

YKW

No. Not true.

When the 717's are converted over to the Southwest operating certificate, their pilots will undergo a 5-day training course at Southwest on the ops specs and such. On the day they start that training in Dallas, they cease to be AirTran employees, are issued Southwest I.D.'s, are Southwest employees, and are covered by the SWAPA CBA.

Hi Lear,

I think we just said the same thing, in different ways....Basically, until the 717's are brought into the fold, anyone flying them is not technically an SWA employee.

On what date will they be transferred to the ops.cert.?

I think that's the big question.

Even if that date was tomorrow....I'd make every effort to get on the 737 and in training TODAY.

Things happen fast in this business, as you well know.

It would seem to me there is a very good reason that the 717's are going to be operated separately for a while...

:)

YKW

Last edited:
There are two schools of thought on this. Both assume that the 717 is not going to be eliminated in the next 3 years. Bid 737FO because you live in or close to a SWA domiclile. Bid 717CA/FO because you live in ATL or TPA/MCO. Most senior Captains will bid 717CA as long as their current commute isn't going (ie DFW). Junior Captains and senior FO'shave a harder choice comparing $$ to QOL to commute. But if SWA decides to can the 717, it really doesn't matter what you pick. AT pilots will be displaced in reverse seniority order. None of the junior guys at risk of beng furloghed at AT will be able to get in to the SWA FO class to get that protection anyway.

" ... (We ) assume that the 717 is not going to be eliminated in the next 3 years."

I Rest My Case.

No further comments or questions from this Counselor....Good luck to those so Involved.

YKMKR

SWA dictates how many AT pilots can make the transition to SWA on what equipment and when. The pilots of AirTran are bidding on equipment to determine where they will be based and how they will be paid. That's about as hard as it gets. The current SWA plan is to have us on their side of the partition by April 2014 (bout 2.5 years). Bottom line is there isn't enough spots for everyone to bid 737FO as you suggest. Those who are senior enough and want to go can. Thanks for your concern , though, as disingenuous as it was.

I certainly didn't mean it to be "disingenuous", sorry if it came across that way (?)

And, I realize that not everybody can make the move to the SWA side of the house immediately.

I'm just saying:

IF I had the Seniority, and IF I was presented with the choice of the 737 and transition sooner rather than later. I would opt for sooner.

I would try and get away from the 717 ASAP, rather than trying to strategize around QOL/Pay issues.

My first priority would be getting that SWA I.D. in my hand.

YKW

Whine,

No mater what happens with the 717, SL10 covers the AT guy's and girls. The have a choice to go with the airplane or stay on SWA's MSL.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back