• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA to have a Q1 loss?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is single engine taxi really that big of a deal, it's not unsafe and saves a ton of fuel annually. I don't see the problem with it, I don't know of any other similar airline that does double engine everytime. If its gonna be a five minute taxi or less then crack them both up. Do some of that piloting stuff man.

It ain't rocket science, Prussian. We do it all the time, even on short taxi in s**tholes like Flint. Quit making up excuses, and stop wasting our profit sharing checks.

I agree with the Prussian. It works mostly for SWA because the can turn an aircraft quickly and taxi out in short order at many airports. It also seems to play in well with the way they run their checklist items. AirTran on the 737 side is an oddball. We have a nasty habit of adding late bags. Especially in ATL running two concourses. As a result, we start number 1 first. I think we are just about the only airline that does this. So in addition to fuel savings, there is added safety, so joe ramper doesn't get sucked into the engine. The 717 engine placement meant the for years our rampers never had to worry about a running engine when throwing a bag into the forward cargo bin. It has been the norm at AirTran to start one engine and then immediately crank the other, if there is no line. I agree that it is more work, more repetitive. At high frequency, single runway airports like RSW, it helps. Too bad you can't just write, "Start both engines, unless it makes more sense to just start one" in the manual...

Last edited:
I see both sides of the story. PCL and Humvee have good points. One thing to think about is SWA is not in ATL all the time like AT. SWA serves markets that are Quick in Quick out. Maybe we should do SE taxi in large airports.

and....taxiing, crossing runways, getting cleared to line up and wait...in idle power, all within 5 minutes, while ascertaining the F/A's have secured the cabin....For those 5 minutes, which is a significant portion of SWA's schedule....things happen...

You could see the same savings by doing sgl engine taxi in. No excuses there. :)

Ok, I'm walking into this thread at page 4. So this may have already been said, but we've been beeotching about not having single engine taxi for years (& the subsequent waste of fuel)!

We know it does not distract from safety (like a DAL guy saying a 20 knot taxi is dangerous, yet they are getting ready to take the runway and, wait for it, gonna speed up to rotation speed, while on the ground, not in a simulator - sorry Mr' Beam speaking).

Every swingin' ... (ahhh, guy here) was a captain before, or at least showed a fed how to start a sim, it aint that f'ing hard.

Headwork my man, headwork.

Ah, my new thing is when a Delta plane is about a mile out, I just say "windcheck". I know, I'm a Richard, sometimes. Just trying to help a brother out :) Heck, I give my buds there tons of sheeot! :)

Ok, I'm walking into this thread at page 4. So this may have already been said, but we've been beeotching about not having single engine taxi for years (& the subsequent waste of fuel)!

We know it does not distract from safety (like a DAL guy saying a 20 knot taxi is dangerous, yet they are getting ready to take the runway and, wait for it, gonna speed up to rotation speed, while on the ground, not in a simulator - sorry Mr' Beam speaking).

Every swingin' ... (ahhh, guy here) was a captain before, or at least showed a fed how to start a sim, it aint that f'ing hard.

Headwork my man, headwork.

Ah, my new thing is when a Delta plane is about a mile out, I just say "windcheck". I know, I'm a Richard, sometimes. Just trying to help a brother out :) Heck, I give my buds there tons of sheeot! :)

Forget the rule of twos? No posting for two hours after having two beers or two Starbucks

Latest resources

Back