• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA to England?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This open skies deal is going to be the biggest change in the U.S. airline industry since deregulation. The LCC's in the U.S. and Europe will all jump in and it will be a slugfest with the established legacies. I'm not quite sure who will win, but all those profits from the Atlantic routes that the legacies are seeing now will likely be much lower in the next couple of years. I

Nah, the foreign airlines still lack the facilities at the major airports here in the States. They lack slots and gates. Sure, now they have a few, but there just isn't any room at most airports for huge expansion. They could try to fly to out of the way airports, like SWF (Stewart) for additional flights (Ryanair would probably do this, since they go to out of the way airports in Europe), but that would be about it. The legacies in the US still have the advantage of location. Look, we (DL) might add a whopping 3 flights to LHR. Expect the same from most European airlines, a few flights here and there to our major airports. The real losers are the airlines that used to fly into LHR exclusively. The European airlines may add new flights to cities with few European flights where there are open facilities, like STL.

I think Jetblue should add European flights, since they do have a good hub at JFK. But, what about those "poison pills" you guys have been telling us about the gate size at your new terminal at JFK???? Riiiiight. We knew that was crock all the time. I bet you will have a few widebody gates (the port authority wants to maximize revenue at JFK also), and you may start some flights with A330s I would bet to some European cities. But, you too would have to get slots at gates at those European airports, which may not be as easy as you would think. Reporters were "stunned" that we got 3 slots (potentially) at LHR.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
I think it is only a matter of time before SWA or B6 start flying to Europe. It will take some time but it does make sense since the transatlantic flying seems to offer higher yields. I can see 787's in SWA colors and A330's or A350's in B6 colors in the next 5-10 years....

Great! My buddies in London love to point out the activities of the 'first time abroad' American tourists that pollute the city in the summer. It will sure further our national rep to drag hard core white trash over on 'peanut fares' on Southwest. Good luck getting the 1-2-3 rule at a layover hotel in the UK.

:beer:

And there is nothing more amusing than seeing an inbred-looking British family in Orlando in July. They are absolutely burnt to a crisp, look completely shell-shocked (they have never experienced heat and humidity like this before) and tend to have the "white trash" Cockney accent in abundance.

By contrast the Brazilians look great and are very gracious.

See, we Yanks can insult the Brits as eagerly as they can us. Now let's all hold hands and lift a pint together.

I think it is only a matter of time before SWA or B6 start flying to Europe. It will take some time but it does make sense since the transatlantic flying seems to offer higher yields. I can see 787's in SWA colors and A330's or A350's in B6 colors in the next 5-10 years....

Just please keep Gary/Herb away from the overhead on the 787!!!

Huh? Transatlantic routes with LCCs would not have very high yields. Only routes between restricted airports or slot controlled airports will have higher yields. The routes with LCCs on them would most likely go to smaller, out of the way airports, like SWF near NYC, or Sanford near MCO. If Ryanair is stating they will have 7 Euro fares to the US, how could you think there is high yield there? The LCCs will fight it out on routes between London Luton and SWF etc, while the legacies will carry the higher fare business pax to LHR and CDG from JFK and ORD.

Bye Bye--General Lee

The routes with LCCs on them would most likely go to smaller, out of the way airports, like SWF near NYC, or Sanford near MCO.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Try Islip. Southwest has built the terminal there and it even has the proper airport code, ISP. The International airport for Southwest Passengers :D

Try Islip. Southwest has built the terminal there and it even has the proper airport code, ISP. The International airport for Southwest Passengers :D

ISP's longest runway is 7006 ft long (6/24). Not even close to get a full 737-700 or anything else off the ground towards Europe full with reserves. Nah.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back