Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rtmcc74

The King Lives!
I know that this question allegedly sends Colleen Barrett into a violent rage since she's been asked so many times, so I'll ask all you big brains out there:

I thought SWA was avoiding COS because of the financial abyss in north Denver that replaced Stapleton. I also hear it's because they don't think the market will support them (which I don't think would be true, given here, Pueblo, and south Denver-ites that would fly them, thus validating the first point).

Anyhow, now I'm hearing rumors that they may in fact now be looking at coming to the Springs.

Anyone got any insight?

Heard this one before, have you? Haven't been offered a job yet, just wondering if/when I do get lucky, how much of a burden the commute is going to be. Just moved here, in the Reserves, and don't want to leave! Of course, like I said, no job as of yet.....

rtmcc74 said:
Heard this one before, have you? Haven't been offered a job yet, just wondering if/when I do get lucky, how much of a burden the commute is going to be. Just moved here, in the Reserves, and don't want to leave! Of course, like I said, no job as of yet.....

There's a couple of Wyoming herk guys at SWA. I think one commutes to PHX.

He lives in Denver.

Last edited:
There are about approx 70 of us in Colorado...it's an easy commute if you want/have to commute. I don't expect anything soon but have heard DEN is looking more attractive than the Springs (that was just shootin the breeze with Herb on the jumpseat a few months ago...but what does he know?) ;)

I flew a SWA -700 into COS about a month ago ....

... too bad it was a charter - I miss the promised land.

Back when WestPac was in its heyday Herb was getting a lot of grief by guys wondering if Beauvais had outsmarted him. Herb maintained that COS was not a sufficient OandD market to justify our quantity of service and that once DIA got its act together COS and Westpac would die on the vine. He turned out to be right.
SWA signed a letter of intent to serve DIA to help them acquire some bonds of some sort, but the commitment was contingent upon a PFC charge at a level that they have yet to obtain.

Gary Kelly said in an interview earlier this year when asked about COS that there was a false perception that loads out of COS when Westpac were great to the markets we fly....he said that wasn't accurate & SWA's analysis since then is nothing has changed...lots of other things have changed also...LCC Frontier has done well in DIA & continues to build market share....they fly to many places...yes folks are moving down I25 from DEnver toward COS...doesn't mean we won't at some point but not in the near future I think....again what do I know!!!

Great feedback gents, appreciate the insight. Will save me asking the forbidden question at my interview. Some of you have responded to one of my other posts about surviving said interview. I appreciate all the feedback you guys have given me.

Chase, check your PM's.

Thanks again.

All I know about Herb & COS is what he said to my upgrade class in 2000. He said that the biggest mistake he ever made was pulling out of Colorado Springs and Anchorage when SWA bought Morris. He then told us that he was having Schedule Planning relook at COS and see if it was viable for SWA to go back to. Here it is 5 years later and SWA is still not back to COS.

Latest resources

Back