• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Satellite Bases?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For all those who do not want satellite bases as hotel costs rise look for pressure on wages down the road. I am not in favor in weakening bases only keeping wages strong. Flexibility includes moving your cheese temporarily.

Good point ASA....but if we are ultimately going to have these, since it is such a money saver for the company, lets get something in exchange for it in negotiations. I am all for saving money and being lean...lets not sell our QOL for nothing in return.
Some understand so little about the issue that they would actually give something up for it. Unbelievable.

CB, I notice you didn't respond to my factually based rebutal above...

CB said:
I am certain of one thing though; if it saves SWA a lot of $$$, they will do it. It will be up to us to make it fair and equitable to the entire group.

Just how are you going to make it equitable when a line I may have wanted and could have held gets ripped out of domicile and now I have to nonrev for free to pick it up? Example; lets say the company decides ABQ is the new satellite because it fits the criteria (one hop from domicile/LAS, hundreds of commuters). Lets say I want to overnight in ABQ, all those lines now go away. I now get to overnight in BUF, LBB or ISP at the Holiday in Select. How am I made whole? Go ahead, try...

Were you pi$$ed when LAS became a base because you really miss Terrible's?

I never claimed to have all the answers on this issue. As I said, it's up to our strong and able "Association" to make sure it's a square deal for all. Maybe, if you dig ABQ so much, you should move there;)

Now let's talk about the cool link on our website to book tickets on West Jet. I think we have bigger fish to fry than the possibility of exploring the possibility of satellite bases. I am done with this topic. Seriously, Merry Christmas bro.

Were you pi$$ed when LAS became a base because you really miss Terrible's?

I never claimed to have all the answers on this issue. As I said, it's up to our strong and able "Association" to make sure it's a square deal for all. Maybe, if you dig ABQ so much, you should move there;)

Now let's talk about the cool link on our website to book tickets on West Jet. I think we have bigger fish to fry than the possibility of exploring the possibility of satellite bases. I am done with this topic. Seriously, Merry Christmas bro.

CB, congrats on your guys new service to Canada. Perhaps when you guys get ahold of some more AF guys with international experience you'll be able to cross the border yourself.

p.s. My bud says you love the LAS base. Beers at the Island. And I hear the Ocho is the only place you can find a lady. With the recession going on, she probably even gives you a discount. Is that a deal for you or all SWA pilots?

I am worried that they will put them in without the same work protections and QOL issues that we bargained for. I do not want this at the expense of what we negotiated previously. I would rather commute from Nashville and pick up Nashville overnights as I can.

Wow Gup and I are on the same side of an issue! I may have to rethink this and change sides.

For all those who do not want satellite bases as hotel costs rise look for pressure on wages down the road. I am not in favor in weakening bases only keeping wages strong. Flexibility includes moving your cheese temporarily.

In a recession (and potential deflation) hotel costs don't rise. Occupancy rates fall due to decreased business demand, and the hotels have fire sales to raise occupancy. Under these conditions, the company can negotiate multi-year contracts under very favorable terms. This has been true in the past and will be true in the near future, thus helping mitigate rising costs for 2-5 years.

It hasn't been just the hotel costs, but transportation costs from the airport that have rise that have taken us from great locations to crappy ones, FLL for example. and LBB

Merry Christmas Gup and many smooth landings in '09

Latest resources

Back