• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Satellite Bases?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Opinion. Do you have facts to back this claim up?
Yes, it's called deductive reasoning. What proof do you have it won't? None.

When the domicile loses a line to a satellite, that line is lost to everyone in domicile, unless you want to non rev/commute to the satellite.

Your statement of the line going very senior is, well very telling... So you want all the domicile pilots to give this up so the senior folks can live in their second vacation home? Nope. Burned once on age 60, thank you...

No matter what line is removed from the domicicle, it has a measure of QOL and PAY. Someone in Domicile who is very senior may just forever lose his/her favorite overnight so the company can save a few bucks and make someone in the satellite who may or may not have seniority, very, very happy.

I notice you didn't disagree that ALL commuters will be hosed either way, unless you live in the satellite... Also telling...

Well, if that is true, it would be only 5 or 6 less? What's the big deal with that?

....did i forget to mention that any chance at having an extra night at home (overnight in home city) for said JR. crew member that commutes and can't hold one of those select home city lines goes out the window.
Charlie Brown....face it....it is a bad deal for all but a very....and I do mean very few people. If it takes 1 line away from those that CHOOSE to live in domicile have to pick from, it hurts us.
It would be a good thing for the company...bad for the group as a whole.

-FR8
KEEP MY LINES IN DALLAS!
ALL OF THEM!
Merry Christmas Charlie Brown

....did i forget to mention that any chance at having an extra night at home (overnight in home city) for said JR. crew member that commutes and can't hold one of those select home city lines goes out the window.
Charlie Brown....face it....it is a bad deal for all but a very....and I do mean very few people. If it takes 1 line away from those that CHOOSE to live in domicile have to pick from, it hurts us.
It would be a good thing for the company...bad for the group as a whole.

If the crew member is going to lose a chance to bid for an overnight in his home town, then his home town is probably a satellite base. Therefore he'd be happier because he wouldn't have to commute. That would give him at least one extra night home every week, even more with the ability to do 2 days or turns. As far as the people who live in domicile, yes there will be less lines. But there will also be less people bidding for them. From my understanding, the FA's were polled to see where most of them commute from. Then the company narrowed the bases down to the ones that had enough aircraft overnighting to make it work. WN isn't trying to make satellite bases where nobody lives. They're trying to make them where people want to live and there's enough to staff them already.

I, for one, will never vote yes for something that restricts my flexibility and satellite bases will do just that.

Gup

I think it's another way to stroke the senior folks. They got 65, now lets make improvements that directly help the 91000 who got hired in sept up to and including #736. How about FO reps in every base? How about paid leave for ALL pilots who have kids? How about helping out the new guys commuting coast to coast until 2010? Are any of those more "junior" issues being discussed? No because this is the first time we've really seen seniority stagnate, and it's been a long time since the senior folks have been junior. We're a big-boy airline now so lets take care of EVERYONE, not just the few who thankfully gave their blood, sweat, and tears 38yrs ago.

If the crew member is going to lose a chance to bid for an overnight in his home town, then his home town is probably a satellite base. Therefore he'd be happier because he wouldn't have to commute. That would give him at least one extra night home every week, even more with the ability to do 2 days or turns. As far as the people who live in domicile, yes there will be less lines. But there will also be less people bidding for them. From my understanding, the FA's were polled to see where most of them commute from. Then the company narrowed the bases down to the ones that had enough aircraft overnighting to make it work. WN isn't trying to make satellite bases where nobody lives. They're trying to make them where people want to live and there's enough to staff them already.

NOT so.....the pilot I am refering to is the one of 294 as stated before that is not senior enough to hold that HOME CITY line.

Bottom line....it hurts a non commuter (fewer lines)

It hurts the commuter who is not senoir enough to hold said satt. base. (most of the commuters) [less to choose from in city he/she commutes to...hence less flexability and no overnights in home city]
So for all but a small % of pilots or FA's this is a bad deal PERIOD.

How about FO reps in every base? How about paid leave for ALL pilots who have kids? How about helping out the new guys commuting coast to coast until 2010? Are any of those more "junior" issues being discussed? No because this is the first time we've really seen seniority stagnate, and it's been a long time since the senior folks have been junior. We're a big-boy airline now so lets take care of EVERYONE, not just the few who thankfully gave their blood, sweat, and tears 38yrs ago.

I couldn't agree with you more.

NOT so.....the pilot I am refering to is the one of 294 as stated before that is not senior enough to hold that HOME CITY line.

Bottom line....it hurts a non commuter (fewer lines)

It hurts the commuter who is not senoir enough to hold said satt. base. (most of the commuters) [less to choose from in city he/she commutes to...hence less flexibility and no overnights in home city]
So for all but a small % of pilots or FA's this is a bad deal PERIOD.

I see what you're saying and that is something that would have to be addressed. Since it is all speculation at this point, keep an open mind when the time comes to discuss it in detail. That's all I am asking. I may agree with you when the particulars are ironed out. One thing in the FA trial is finding a replacement should you have to call in sick. That is BS for a couple of reasons (I don't get paid to do scheduling's job, if I am sick I don't want to be making all kinds of phone calls, etc.) so things like this are unacceptable. I am certain of one thing though; if it saves SWA a lot of $$$, they will do it. It will be up to us to make it fair and equitable to the entire group.

Merry Christmas to you too! :)

For all those who do not want satellite bases as hotel costs rise look for pressure on wages down the road. I am not in favor in weakening bases only keeping wages strong. Flexibility includes moving your cheese temporarily.

Latest resources

Back