• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA rejection letter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
word on the street, is that the email got sent out to everyone on accident.. just a rumor, take it for what it's worth.

word on the street, is that the email got sent out to everyone on accident.. just a rumor, take it for what it's worth.

Pretty sure that was Hawaiian... But that would make sense. I mean, they just opened the window. It seems strange to send a letter like that so soon. Yes, I understand that there won't be much hiring, but it is awful early to "purge the system" again. What I really don't want it to mean is that I am inelligable to apply when the window re-opens, whenever that may be.

I got the rejection letter last week from one person at Southwest then again this week from someone else at Southwest! I think they are trying to tell me something!

What airplane are newhires starting on - 737 or 717? Are SWA newhires getting AT slots with the integration or are they still hiring/staffing separately?

Last edited:
When are pilot going to learn. Sometimes its all about personality, not about how many types you have. If you have 7000PIC or 8000PIC that doesnt make a difference. You have to have that charm that sticks out form the rest of the candidates.

Riddle me this Batman....I worked for a 737 airline, guys applied. Already captains/typed and got called. Interviewed and some accepted and some not. Ages varied, but all had a type and 2-3 thousand hrs as PIC on a 737. Those not accepted were called in again, some accepted...some not.
Again, those not, were called in again...HIRED! My question is this....You are 737 typed, 3000 hrs PIC,10,000+ total time. You have met the min requirments...type, pic, total time. All that is left is personality. You are right, obviously you must sell yourself and certainly at SWA. However, if you are 35.40,45 isn't your personality already ingrained in you. It is you..... it's your personality (or lack thereof). Did you suddenly develop a personality after 40 yrs on this earth. You have interviewed twice and been shot down. Maybe you reconfigured your personality to pass the interview. Are the folks in the People Dept. not smart enough to see this?
Yes, I have heard ....they just want to see that you really want to work here. Blo me!! If they didn't want to work there, why would they have applied? I can kinda see one time..somebody had a bad day and the company was still interested enough to call them back. Second chance, cool. 3 times .....really? It happened to 2 guys I know and have heard similair stories. Enlighten me. By the way, I only applied once and got shot down. Oh well........

What airplane are newhires starting on - 737 or 717? Are SWA newhires getting AT slots with the integration or are they still hiring/staffing separately?

Aren't you a huge swa hater? So why do you care?

Aren't you a huge swa hater? So why do you care?
nice touch; is this an example of that LUVing SWA attitude the HR people are looking for?

Riddle me this Batman.........

unriddled for you..... HR has evolved the pilot hiring process into one that is reliant upon the computer to randomly select the list of the "few" that will meet the forecasted needs for the next class to be hired. Letters of recommendation may add a point to the weighting but does not promise success for the individual if their number does not get selected by the computer.
Ask any of the most senior pilots at SWA who have written a letter of recommendation for any of their close friends.... (one they have risked their lives with and flown in combat or on the line at another carrier) and then had that person turned down. Ask your senior Captains if HR has lost touch with the fact that Suzy Cutesy is not a better judge of skills or character and that a computer does not replace real world experience. I can't believe that out of four days of interviewing hundreds of qualified applicants only 6 get the nod to start at SWA. Statistically it is not feasible that so few will succeed in the interview. Without a MMPI psychological profile to place each person into a specific zone (most pilots would tend to be in the same area due to the type A personalities and egos that are involved to be a successful pilot) you would not be able to arrive at such a select few. Not saying that the "chosen ones" are not qualified... just that they made it through the filter that was used on the program that day. I am certain that their interview skills were polished and the log books in order. Blue power suit with the shined shoes and socks that did not sag. Fresh haircuts with nose hairs trimmed. Finger nails cleaned and clipped and fresh breath. Required reading complete with company profile memorized. Freshly printed 737 type rating from down the street. All had it when they went there. All had it when they left. Only 5% selection? Mass emails sent out multiple times? Rejection letters received mulitple times for the same interview? HR and a computer.
This is not saying that the pilots that do get selected are not qualified. It is saying that this culture thing is a bit out of control over there. I will say that every pilot that reads this forum knows someone that got hired/not hired at SWA and wondered how could this person make it through or not hit the fast-pass line. You are pilots that work hard and have helped your company become successful. You are a work group that is valued by your employer. You have a management team that works with you to ensure the success of the company. Congratulations on a job well done. You are pilots. You still have to wipe your own butt.

I've always been curious with regards to all the major airlines. What could possibly change that you would have to "re interview." You're still the same person you were 6 months ago.
This is not a Southwest thing, but rather an "airline thing."

yeah, I got one too... it's the boiler plate letter I guess when they more or less flush out their apps..? I assume the next window, they expect you to put in new one.. I hear no type = letter

edit: just saw your profile... so I guess the type isn't it... I guess my 12000 hours in 8 types and 3500 PIC large/heavy jet, no failed checkrides and no FAA violations wasn't enough.

Have you seen this job market since 2009? We got people with thousands and thousands of hours, multiple jet types etc... Who can barely get Caravan, King Air , or Cape Air jobs....It's brutal...

At my last company, the guys still there acted like it was easy to get a job....I think some of them have realized it may be more difficult than they thought after applying and failing to get hired anywhere either (They are trying to get out from under a sinking ship.....NJA)

Latest resources

Back