SWA pre-class study

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

azxj

I know this has been asked a million times before, but I made it through the Feb. decision board, and I was wondering if anyone who has used some of these study materials would recommend them.

1. the flash cards, the flow charts, and profiles from pass737. com

2. the books from fmcguide.com

Also is there a good basic guide to the FMC? I have never used an FMC before, and we didn't cover much in the type rating course.

I know people say you don't have to study before class, but it looks like it may be a while, and I figure I might as well do something.

Thanks

prep

azxj,
Wouldn't worry much about pre study, except for the following caveats. I think the flash cards are more beneficial for helping out during the type rating training, though you could still use them in initial training. The systems course in initial training is pretty thorough and the exam is fairly low drag. The one thing you could prep early for is studying the profiles, i.e. normal ils approach, visual approach, go around, stalls, v-1 cut, single ils, etc (k&s teaches SWA procedures, not sure where you got typed).... Thats where the rubber meets the road when your pc/checkride rolls around at the end of the initial training. Also all boxed/checked memory items.

SWAFO

the PASS cards are nice in training. the flow guide isn't much help IMHO, but the profile sheet is a bit easier to read than the FOM so it isn't too bad. the cards are the best deal. The 737 cockpit companion book is nice once you hit the line so you can leave it in your brain bag and do review once in a while without carrying huge manuals, but it isn't important during training.

if you do anything memorize the boxed memory items and limitations, all found on any of the pilot base sites, like oakpilotbase.com and enjoy time with your family. training is low key and i truly believe you won't have a problem even if you don't do anything before hand, just work hard once here.

congrats.

Hey he is not the original SWA/FO..... I AM!!!!

canyonblue737 said:
the PASS cards are nice in training. the flow guide isn't much help IMHO, but the profile sheet is a bit easier to read than the FOM so it isn't too bad. the cards are the best deal. The 737 cockpit companion book is nice once you hit the line so you can leave it in your brain bag and do review once in a while without carrying huge manuals, but it isn't important during training.

if you do anything memorize the boxed memory items and limitations, all found on any of the pilot base sites, like oakpilotbase.com and enjoy time with your family. training is low key and i truly believe you won't have a problem even if you don't do anything before hand, just work hard once here.

congrats.

Do you think the PASS cards are accurate? I would like to get all hard memory items down before class. Limitations off the base websites but profiles and flows would be a nice addition. Why do you think the flow guide isn't much help? It's pretty expensive and I would hate to lay out cash for a wasted item.

I have been studying the cockpit companion because it's a good refresher of what button does what again. It's been a long time since I got typed so I'm starting over.

yes, pass cards are accurate. I'd say if you get the limitation/EP pass cards down, you will be more than ready. the flow booklet is okay, but is really just pictures of the cockpit with little arrows pointing out the flow. I got it but the flows changed while I was in ground school (last march) and so it was out of date. There is a new one with the new flows. For some flows it is helpful, for others it has like 8 steps in a row that point to nothing (log book, trash bag, circuit breakers, etc). the profile book is a little easier than the fom to get the gist of stuff but I wouldn't study it too much before you go.

I will second (third) the rest of the guys, don't spend too much time studying before you go. Just get your life in order so you can spend 2 months straight getting to know the SWA way of flying without having to worry about mortgage payments or bills or getting your driver's license renewed. I'd just show up ready to work (and have fun of course, spring is great for the deck parties on Fridays) and you'll be fine. Like everyone says, it is more about attitude. If you show up willing to learn and put some effort in, you'll be golden. No need to have the FOM memorized or anything.

firstthird said:
No need to have the FOM memorized or anything.

Wow, that is refreshing because at independence it's expected. I have the mentality that I need to know everything before I start training because that's how we do it here.

Well, I'll think I'll invest in the info. because for every hour a normal person has to spend to memorize somthing, I need two. Thanks.

Latest resources

Back