• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA posts $162 Mil Net Income/ $.22 per share

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It doesn't matter if the hedges are running out. The revenue is not meeting the costs. The hedges are just temporarily covering the losses.

The 3rd quarter would have looked like a MINUS $27M loss without the hedges. Operationally the airline is operating at a loss.

SWA only profit center is it's secondary business the Fuel Office which hasn't closed it doors YET! I thought SWA was an airline.

Our hedging program has been around for over 20 years. If you knew anything about them you would no that they don't "run out". They are traded on a daily basis using normal option methods (puts and calls), so they are actually not ever sold. They only way we could "run out" is if we start selling the options out right.

Now, we are still maintaining our hedging program, but our price equivalent to jet fuel is going up. So the hedge gains will not offset the increased cost of fuel as much.

We were hedging before 9-11, why not the same attention then as now. Why don't you go back for 20 years and subtract out our "hedge profit" from all of quarterly profit to find our "real" profit. Why you are at it subtract out the liquor sales, money saved due to efficient scheduling of pilot/FA/aircraft, fuel saved from efficient profiles...etc.

Did anyone else watch Garry Kelly on MSNBC Squak Box this morning? The pro-mo's for the segment led the viewer (me included) to believe than he would be speaking about SWA's earnings and meeting predicted targets. What I think the REAL story was and the more I listened to it the more I was amazed at hearing: He spent nearly 5 minutes talking about CONSOLODATION and MERGER! He stated that SWA would take a serious look at it, be "pro-active" and a dominate player and that they were a "growth airline". If anyone can get a transcript of this mornings interview it is very enlightening to listen to what he is saying "between the lines". Of course, he may just be shaking things up a bit like Tilton....any talk of a merger, of course with SWA being the dominant partner....is sure to raise the stock ticker.

Nice to see all you SWA cheerleaders are all so thin skinned. It will be easy to skin you alive when times get tough.

Wow, lucky, you just can't coach that kind of retarded remark.....that's raw talent! Dude, get off the Dungeons and Dragons chatroom, tell your mom you're coming upstairs for dinner, and pick a fight with somebody who cares what you think!

Your operation is losing money and your making it on the hedges. And the hedges are declining and when they disappear SWA will be posting RED INK.

Uh I don't think so. SWA can raise fairs to cover the cost of the hedges dwindling since they have pricing power. Ever notice as soon as SWA raises fares the legacies follow. Its rocket science:rolleyes:

The problem is the trailer park traveler will only pay so much to fly before they decide its to expensive. Tickets over $159 are going to decrease your loads.

SWA is not a premium brand.

Starbucks charges $4 dollars a cup and gets it. McD's could never sell a $4 cup of coffee even if it was the same kind of coffee.

Now a company like Virgin USA, has the potential to be a premium brand and could charge a four digit fare without offending its core consumer.

SWA is a low three digit cap. High four digits make money even with $100 oil.

Last edited:
Volume sometimes outweight's outrageous four digit fares.

Seems to work for us, as we fly more people than any other US Airlines even the legacy's. Suits or tank tops, it dosen't matter. The dollar spends the same no matter where it comes from. Only diffrence is we use Febreeze more offen.

"Nope, that title went to AirTran this year. SWA does still have the lowest CASM including fuel, though, thanks to their hedges."

Hey PLC, you can partially thank the industry leading FO pay for this. Anybody else having trouble paying there bills at the end of the month? Let's make some noise on FO pay this time around. Tired of hearing these Tranny Capts say pay isn't the issue here. It is for us! Sorry for the off topic. I've had it with my SWA FO friends laughing at my paycheck. None of which are "SWA material" any more than those I know who've been turned down. Everyone knows success in this industry is timing and luck. As I now have to say, "be nice to your FA, she may be your Capt. some day"...a situation I recently experienced.

Latest resources

Back