• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chase

New Deal Means Growth—Including More Pilots and Flight Attendants

Blog By: Mike Van de Ven on Sep 27, 2010 at 7:00am
SWA%20_Canyon_blue.jpg
I'm sure you all are still buzzing from this morning's exciting news. I couldn't be more optimistic about the future of Southwest Airlines and the many opportunities this acquisition brings us. In addition to seeing an opportunity to grow our earnings, an approved deal also presents a number of network opportunities. In order to take advantage of these opportunities, we will be increasing the utilization of our existing fleet in 2011. Naturally, this increase in aircraft utilization means more flights, which requires additional Flight Crews. So, I am happy to say that we are back in the business of hiring Pilots and Flight Attendants!

We are tentatively planning to add 150-200 new Pilots and 250-300 new Flight Attendants next year. Since we haven’t hired Flight Crews since 2008, our hiring Teams will soon begin an aggressive schedule to interview and process qualified candidates. We expect to have 100 Pilots begin New Hire training in first quarter 2011, and start rolling into our system in March. Additional Pilot classes will follow as required. Flight Attendant classes also will begin in first quarter 2011, and will include three classes of approximately 100 each. They will start rolling into our system in April.
Of course, more flights doesn't just create the need for more Flight Crews. Rest assured, we will be hiring as needed for our other operational groups as well. Stay tuned for more news on this.

I know many of you have been eagerly anticipating growth for our Company, and I’m looking forward to adding to our Family.

This hiring may or may not happen. I hope it does. As has been pointed out on another forum, it's just a bone to soften the blow from the buyout of Citrus.

shootr

SWA announced that it will take 2 years to merge the operations with AirTran. They have already announce new service to EWR, GPS, and CHS will start in 2011, well before the merger is complete. The announced hiring of 150 pilots is for that new service starting in March.

We are going to HAVE to hire to fill the schedule for March. Good luck boys. I hope you don't end up ********************ed on the backside of this.

Gup

This hiring may or may not happen. I hope it does. As has been pointed out on another forum, it's just a bone to soften the blow from the buyout of Citrus.

shootr
Shootr,

Mike announced it at 7 AM today...the AAI announcement occurred prior to that. I can't see SWA announcing hiring and then taking it back because of the AAI merger....why release it in the first place?

Whether it is a carrot or not, SWA will have new hires flowing again in 2011 and flying will be added...we have 3 new cities and increasing loads.

AAI has new hires in their pipeline right now which helps our junior most pilots when it comes to pilot integration.

Again this is good news for the poolies to be on property....sooner the better!!!

Any idea how many are left in the pool and when/if the app window will open up again?

Shootr,

Mike announced it at 7 AM today...the AAI announcement occurred prior to that. I can't see SWA announcing hiring and then taking it back because of the AAI merger....why release it in the first place?

Whether it is a carrot or not, SWA will have new hires flowing again in 2011 and flying will be added...we have 3 new cities and increasing loads.

AAI has new hires in their pipeline right now which helps our junior most pilots when it comes to pilot integration.

Again this is good news for the poolies to be on property....sooner the better!!!

Because those in charge of hiring weren't told of the impending merger. THAT'S how you keep a secret.

Latest resources

Back