• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Pool Movement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
hahaha..ooops, 2004. I hope they don't ask any difficult "What's today's date?" sort of questions during the interview.

Twice a Month...

...but I wouldn't bet your paycheck on it. I sat down and whooped up some quick math on MS Excel, and dialed in 2 classes per month. So, either I heard what I wanted to hear, or she said two each month (but a xXpress1 figured, a class every 2 weeks would be better)

At 2 classes per month and 20 folks per class, I determined that 400 new pilots would be put through training in '04 with the last class on 6 Dec 04. The 200 mark would be reached during the first class in July.

I wish there was a way to share this spreadsheet with you guys so you can shoot holes until we get it corrected to 100%. If any of you networking types have a plan, bring it on!

Heat

list may be shorter than you think

For those of you swimming in the pool, here's a bit of good news that might make your wait shorter. I know of several ex-Air Force, would-be future SWA pilots who weren't willing to take a chance and decided to stay on active duty or got tired of waiting and came to AirTran, Jetblue, and ATA.

It's a win for everyone. The Air Force got to keep some highly experienced pilots for the war, AirTran and others got some great pilots we would have lost and you poolies will get to class sooner.

Cheers

Great Post !

AFCitrus,

I'll bet we've all had that thought and conversation with someone over the past year. Could I ask a favor of you? The next time you're taking a look at the unofficial SWA pool list, could you take note of any names that ring a bell, and send them my way? I'll PM them and try to get the scoop.

My thoughts and prayers went out to those guys and gals a long time ago for having to make the tough decision, so don't think I'm bottom feeding off of their misfortune... just wanna know what the numbers are (as best we can) so others can determine their life's plans.

Thanks again for the post,

Heat

Hey Heat,

Can you PM me? I tried to PM you but it won't let me. I'd rather not post anyone's screenname on this public forum since I can't be sure that my info is 100% correct.

Thanks

Heat & gang,

Thanks for all the encouraging words. Here's hoping all the figuring (especially xXpress1's) will pay off for SWA, the poolies, and a lot of wannabes.

Any words from anyone on the online app system for the wannabes?

Yahtz

Got an email from LL

I sent an email to LL last week to update my phone #. She said the online update for those who got their apps in before April will start in January. She also said interviews will probably begin in Mar/April timeframe.

Congrats

Congrats to the 12 Jan class. AF757pilot take good notes for me. I am old and can't remember things the way I use to.. Have fun in Dallas and Smoke the class. You may not be the oldest guy/gal in the class but you will easily look like the oldest....

Your pal
Maxie me

Long term Hiring Prospects

This cut from a financial guru talking about why SWA is set to do well from an earnings (translation=hiring) standpoint. There a few negatives, he covers those also:

Per Walter Thorpe, Sr. Analyst, although one of the largest airlines as measured by passengers carried, their low fare places it in the bottom third revenue wise in the group.

Pros:
1. Operating efficiencies is most profitable of group. LUV is only 6% of Airport Industry’s revenue in 2000, but, LUV took in a remarkable 20% of earnings.
2. LUV just went thru one of the most difficult period on record for airlines, LUV stayed in the black, while other airlines were in the red.
3. Although capitalization is greater than competitors, share price does not fully reflect LUV’s superior profit potential in 2006-2008.
4. Demand should gradually improve as the economy improves.
5. A low cost structure gives the company a competitive edge that enables mgmt to keep fares down and achieve profit.
6. Although terrorism is a concern, LUV is more insulated than others. LUV flies mostly to smaller airports, which are less likely to be targeted.
7. Customer traffic to increase faster than capacity.
8. Pt to Pt route structure is more cost efficient than monopolistic hub-n-spoke model used by major carriers.
9. 2nd Tier airports are used, where landing fees & congestion is minimal, keeping costs and shortening delays that waste valuable resources.
10. Increasing Internet sales helps reduce travel agents commission from 5% to 1%; other national airlines selling expenses are closer to 7-8%.
11. LUV accounts for only 11% of domestic capacity, leaving lots of room for future growth.
12. Low cost structure consistently demonstrates it can move into new market and grow.
13. LUV, to date, has never experienced any serious union discord.
14. Fuel hedging has helped keep costs down for the immediate future.

Negs:
1. Travel is depressed
2. LUV’s expansion plans on hold.
3. Abrupt hikes in jet fuel prices can squeeze carrier’s margins in the LT future

Latest resources

Back