• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA plan for 15% ROIC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Now that being said if the company comes asking for concessions to avoid furloughs, which I STRONGLY believe they will, will SWAPA give or not? I don't know. In either case if the company follows through they win. If we give them concessions the company benfits from reduced expenses. If we don't, and they furlough, the company benefits from reduced expenses and it serves as a warning to the other employee groups.

I really hate these threads that hash out the merits of taking concessions to avoid furloughs!

First, nobody has come asking SWAPA for concessions or discussed furloughs.

Second, and most important is not to get fooled into giving concessions because of the threat of furlough. Threatening to furlough and actually furloughing are two different things. A classic strong arm tactic is to con unions into concessions with the threat of furlough. But if concessions are given, how can the union ever know if the furloughs were real or just a threat? The concessions are a sucker play!!!

IF management comes with this proposal, the best choice is to look GK in the eye and dare him to furlough. Give up nothing! He will not only be the first SWA CEO to furlough, but the first of the recent consolidations to result in job loss for pilots. And all at a time when the company is poised to cash in on many new revenue initiatives.

Anyone thinking of how much they can give needs to step away from the keyboard, take a breath and man up!

It's a good point- and it still stands, there is a worldwide pilot shortage heating up- we don't need to concede anything when anyone of us can cross an ocean and fly jets for at least what we earn now- at least.

Some will leave for legacies-
Others will accept leaves for any number of reasons, up to and including one of those overseas job for a life experience and tax free cash- waayy before the furloughs or concessions absolutely nobody is talking about.

Malibu- the bigger threat isn't concessions to avoid furloughs-

It's concessions in exchange for growth
IMO our group is so tired of the stagnation that they would accept a pay freeze or some concessions to get the ball rolling again....

Good points wave...I think there will be an early out program like in 2009 as well. No doubt it will be stagnant here for awhile, but I think furloughs are unlikely. Gary does not REALLY "care" about people, but he understands the value of not furloughing and will not be the first to do it here.

It's a good point- and it still stands, there is a worldwide pilot shortage heating up- we don't need to concede anything when anyone of us can cross an ocean and fly jets for at least what we earn now- at least.

Some will leave for legacies-
Others will accept leaves for any number of reasons, up to and including one of those overseas job for a life experience and tax free cash- waayy before the furloughs or concessions absolutely nobody is talking about.

Malibu- the bigger threat isn't concessions to avoid furloughs-

It's concessions in exchange for growth
IMO our group is so tired of the stagnation that they would accept a pay freeze or some concessions to get the ball rolling again....
I completely disagree with your idea we would take freezes to get growth.

We've been burned twice on that specific hope twice recently. Not one person I've talked too is willing to vote for any mention of growth if it entails lower pay or QOL. This contract is being discussed with a company approaching 15%ROI, not a bankrupt carrier. We will not accept less than cost of living up to and including the exact percentage increase in pay GK just banked.

There will be no exchange of pay for promise of growth. Not after the last five years of rumors, unkept promises and innuendo.

I wish I could say the same- and I just flew a few trips out of OAK - if the Cali guys are willing....

i completely disagree with your idea we would take freezes to get growth.

We've been burned twice on that specific hope twice recently. Not one person i've talked too is willing to vote for any mention of growth if it entails lower pay or qol. This contract is being discussed with a company approaching 15%roi, not a bankrupt carrier. We will not accept less than cost of living up to and including the exact percentage increase in pay gk just banked.

There will be no exchange of pay for promise of growth. Not after the last five years of rumors, unkept promises and innuendo.
--+1--.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back