• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA plan for 15% ROIC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think everyone that is talking about furlough needs to remember that SWA cannot function as it currently does without the pilot group picking up thousands of hours of open time. I know that a union driven call to stop picking up open time would most likely be seen as an illegal job action, but I would not need the union to tell me to do the right thing. If SWA decided to furlough pilots (FAT or RSW or both), I would refuse to pick up open time. Some of the folks who have financial situations that rely on 120TFP every month would not follow suit, but it would not take a dramatic shift in reduced open time pick ups to greatly reduce the ability for SWA to run its full schedule. If you can't adequately staff the flight schedule, the need for pilots on furlough diminishes quickly. There is no need at this time for a furlough and I will not be complicit in that need to furlough by picking up open time. I know I am not the only one because I have asked others about this scenario.

This forum is talking furloughs...we are in sec 6...we should be pushing contract improvements...we r the enemy to ourselves...
Exactly, Wall Street is predicting a $700+ million net profit for 2013. We shouldn't be talking about furloughs but how much of that $700 million should go to the pilots while maintaining SWA's competitive position within the industry we operate in.

Ding, ding ding!

GK has all but promised 15percent return this year. If he fails, he's out, and he's not going to make that statement unless he already has it in the bag.

No furlough, and I wager we get a raise.

Exactly, Wall Street is predicting a $700+ million net profit for 2013. We shouldn't be talking about furloughs but how much of that $700 million should go to the pilots while maintaining SWA's competitive position within the industry we operate in.
From I see $700M is before EBIT, and $421M after EBIT on sales of $17B, a return of 2.4% on sales. If this is reduced can SWA still attract capital to grow or will it have to resort to borrowing?

There is a new low cost carrier on the block, called Spirit, highest profit per airplane in the industry. Walk up ticket same day DFW-DTW $86.00

http://finapps.forbes.com/finapps/jsp/finance/compinfo/IncomeStatement.jsp?tkr=luv&period=qtr

From I see $700M is before EBIT, and $421M after EBIT on sales of $17B, a return of 2.4% on sales. If this is reduced can SWA still attract capital to grow or will it have to resort to borrowing?

There is a new low cost carrier on the block, called Spirit, highest profit per airplane in the industry. Walk up ticket same day DFW-DTW $86.00

http://finapps.forbes.com/finapps/jsp/finance/compinfo/IncomeStatement.jsp?tkr=luv&period=qtr

Now they just have to deal with American. The fares are great though.

Is that the $89 fare were they add a $35 fuel charge, then the Government fee of $30?

Aside: Spirt and VA prove what customer goodwill is worth in this industry that is (about zero). VA is a good running airline with a nice product that customers love but they are failing. Spirt's customers don't love the airline and they are near the bottom in all DOT catergories but they are making $$$$ hand over fist and expanding wherever they want.

UPS proves staffing is staffing no matter the financial returns. They make over $4 billion a year and have pilots on furlough. If we only had one customer and that customer chartered an airplane once a week for $10 million we would still only need 4 pilots max. They will furlough to ideal staffing numbers if they can find a way to do it and keep face/faith with the other employee groups. We are told we are the airlines leadership and most of us may act like it but what do you think the inner circle of the GO believes? Acid test how many pilots at WN are real corporate decision makers? ZERO.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back