Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
An actress had it happen.

It can happen,

An actress going through security at Lax had 7000 dollars stolen out of her purse. Fortunately the cameras saw that it was one of the screeners and the screener was arrested so it can happen. Her name was Sandra something, (Even 7000 dollars is alot to a multi millionaire)

The supervisor would not allow the pilot on the aircraft. Now we see that these gate agents are not always our friends...beware. If they get an opportunity to humiliate you they will. They are not your friends, so tread with care.

I think we have been saying the same thing for months.

Maybe ALPA and other unions need to organize a nationwide informational picketing right outside of airport security checkpoints to get the point home that we need national ID's, separate screening/access points, etc. I would gladly spend my day off at BWI to point out that lunacy. Please pay attention to all of the complaints about BWI. They are quite numerous on this board and I am here to second each one I have read. If these screeners are supposed to be the ultimate in providing for the safety of the passengers and crew that board these planes, then by god, lets get some QUALIFIED people and some COMMON SENSE.

Okay as a furloughed pilot who now (temporarily) works for the new TSA, formerly the FAA security division (not FSDO inspectors) I'll try to answer your reasonable questions to the best of my ability. First off I took this job to try and help improve security for my profession (that and it pays the bills while awaiting recall). Remember I also am an ALPA member, and am constrained on many issues by the importance to not release confidential material.
First off, if you have any problems at the security line, request to talk to the GSC (ground security coordinator). These are Air Carrier employees who must be at all checkpoints whenever they are open (if you don't see any air carrier rep contact any law enforcement officer and have them close the checkpoint until there is one present.)
Secondly, all screeners have been told that flight crew are not subject to the random screening that is too be done continuously at all checkpoints. However, if you have something in your bag that is suspect (i.e. a pair of scissors) then your bag will be searched. If you alarm the metal detector, you will be hand wanded. Many of us have shanks in our shoes, I go through the checkpoints 10-15 times a day and mine are always going off. I know they will, and I subject myself to the hand wanding. It doesn't hurt a bit and it only takes a few seconds. Don't blame the screeners for this, they are given a specific set of rules that they have to follow. Many of you'd be surprised how egotistical you sound saying that they are exacting revenge or trying to humiliate you.
If you do have to be hand wanded the screener is supposed to allow you to view your items on the x-ray belt while your being screened. If they won't do this have them call the GSC and explain it to him/her.
Oh, we know that you could crash the plane if you wanted to, and it probably wouldn't be very smart to announce that repeatedly at the checkpoint (a la US Airways), however, the screeners don't know much about airlines and if someone walked through with a Bin Laden Airlines ID badge and a pilots uniform on they'd think they were actually flying instead of a terrorist. Anyone can get a pilots uniform and many have been stolen along with ID's in the past year (I'd check more than one form of ID for any jumpseaters if I were you).
I'm all for a national ID for pilots. I used to commute to work and not being able to ride in the Delta/Southwest cockpit sure made it hard sometimes. Until that gets done (ALPA is working with the FAA but it will take time) be brave and go through screening like the rest of us. You probably only do it once or twice a day in reality (unless your in some terribly designed airport like MCI). You don't know how dumb you look when you make a scene at the checkpoint, trust me I've observed many pilots who think their gods gift and how dare you make me take my shoes off in front of the public.
Remember screeners are trained to do the same for everyone, they're not singling you out, in fact most screeners hate screening flight crews because they bitch and moan so much.
As far as the southwest pilot, if his own gate agent refused to let him fly, obviously the guy was more than the angel he made himself out to be.
Remember the screeners will all have to be federalized by Nov. 17th hopefully the testing, training, and hiring requirements will weed out the bad ones. Until then, you should see more standardization in the coming weeks (TSA just took over the supervision of screening from the carriers, but nothing can change overnight).
Keep your eyes open for terrorists, legally we can't profile, but we all do. There are many cells still out there and there is a lot of suspicious activity going on. Go to the FBI website and print out pictures. Carry them with you and look at people's faces. You never know what you might find, the life you save could be your own.
Flame me if you feel it makes you big, any legitimate questions I'll try and answer...I'm with the FAA (actually now it's the TSA) and I'm here to help you. (Ha, Ha).

Sweet Jesus I thought since the federal government took over security it was all supposed to be nirvana! Notice that it was an emergency that they had to take over for safety, but no rush what so ever once they actually did? Do you feel safer? Or do you feel better that the welfare wannabe making 6 dollars an hour are now federal employees that are now gaurenteed good wages without fear of ever being fired? Its simply an example of looks over substance. Create a nation wide standard for security ? Nah just federalise em to fool the public into feeling better. Im disgusted how about you?

I agree that pilots shouldn't get angry at screeners for APPROPRIATE and LEGAL requests. They're just doing their jobs. If, however, the screener is abusive, fondles my flight attendant, or is obviously singling out the flight crew for harassment, I won't hesitate to call him on it. Hopefully any flight crewmember who witnesses a security breach or illegal conduct by a security screener will not hesitate to tell someone.

EagleRJ,

If you won't let the screeners fondle your flight attendent. Can I?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Good for you for standing up for yourself and your crew!

Flydaplane,

You do make some good points, and that is the way it should be, but there is still far too much abuse going on. (Dare I say abuse from both sides)

First off, James007 you need to think before you type. THEY ARE NOT FEDERAL EMPLOYEES, they are the same screeners as before. The main change that happenefd Sunday was that instead of having the air carrier pay companies like Huntleigh and Argenbright, now you are with you ticket surcharge (doesn't that make you happy???) The govt did not renew the contract with Argenbright and they will be phased out slowly over the next 3-6 months (even a weak screener is better than no screener). Believe it or not, some (maybe a few) are actually goos at what they do (next time your at a CTX machine try and distinguish what they do).
The key to the future is that they will be tested and held accountable (i.e. fired or retrained) if they don't perform well.
If you have problems with any screeners take immediate action, ask to talk to their CSS(that's their managers) and the GSC(air carrier rep at each checkpoint). If its something serious like groping see if there is a camera on the chekpoint (most airports nowdays have them) and request that they review the tape (its like a CVR if you don't pull the tape it may get taped over.
Hope this helps.........

I wish there was a quality private security firm out there that offered good pay and benifits, a firm whose employee base is not shared with McDonalds, who would attract educated individuals with a degree of common sense.

Companies like 'Argenbrite' and their competition wouldn't not only be phased out, but put out of business for good for being the security frauds that they are. Several major markets previously banned Argenbrite from even having a contract in their city due to their mistakes.

Nothing the FAA now does will improve until the new "FEDERAL EMPLOYEES" are employed under a QUALITY private firm.

This is ridiculous. A pilot asks the screeners to follow the rules and is ignored. He rightfully becomes angry and is punished.
What an abuse of power by the security personnel. What's even more sad is that Southwest Airlines, a company known for taking care of its employees refused to stand up for this pilot.

Latest resources

Back