• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA - PHX vs LAS for domicile

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Am I missing something? Doesn't AZ have state income tax while NV doesn't?

True. However, in theory, if you're commuting to a base to work out of there, technically you're still a resident of the state you commute from. On the other hand, many others as astute as you have picked up on the fact that they can claim NV residence and avoid state income taxes with some sort of semi-permanent Nevada address (assuming they don't have wives working back home and kids going to public school, etc.)

I suppose I should have counted that as another factor to consider, if you can make the residency thing work for you...

Bubba

For the guys who do that... be careful ....I remember in the late 90's several Northwest pilots got caught claiming they lived in Florida when in fact they lived elsewhere simply to not pay state income tax. Not sure what happened to them, just remember the story going around the Detroit hub where I was based at the time. I remember hearing were simply using mailing addresses to justify it.

Last edited:
I pretty sure the only thing those guys had in Florida was a PO box. It's best to have an actual address if your going to go down that road.

For the guys who do that... be careful ....I remember in the late 90's several Northwest pilots got caught claiming they lived in Florida when in fact they lived elsewhere simply to not pay state income tax. Not sure what happened to them, just remember the story going around the Detroit hub where I was based at the time. I remember hearing were simply using mailing addresses to justify it.

Same thing with a bunch of USAirways guys in Charlotte. Worked in Charlotte, Had house in Charlotte.

Florida law says if you accept a job in Florida you are supposed to get a Florida license and be a resident of the state, I don't see anyone going after me for not claiming Florida residency. D@#$ hypocrites!

KBB

I have a bed to rent in my condo in LAS. It's $250 a month and requires a car. It is a true home away from home and not a "crash pad". The hotels can/can't be a cheaper route depending on hotel rates how many nights you require but if you want in on an extremely nice spot drop me a PM. It's located on Indian River Drive 89103 if you want to google the location.

I'm sure the IRS doesn't have a problem with 18 people claiming the same address as their place of residence.

"I'm sure the IRS doesn't have a problem with 18 people claiming the same address as their place of residence."........................................

No problem at all as long as your are an illeg.......... errr..... undocumented workers claiming 5-8 dependents living in the same single wide trailer. (In Indiana.... reported by the tax person to the IRS....NADA) Thousands of tax payer dollars going those making fraudulent claims. The three netted over $16000.00 in child credits.

I realize this message is "preaching to the choir," but it's such an impressive review, just had to send it on.

In 1887 Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the
University of Edinburgh, had this to say about the fall of the
Athenian Republic some 2,000 years prior: "A democracy is always
temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent
form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until
the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous
gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority
always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from
the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally
collapse over loose fiscal policy, (which is) always followed by a
dictatorship."

From bondage to spiritual faith;