SWA - PHX vs LAS for domicile

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wood pecker

What are the pros and cons of these 2 domiciles for us bottom 80-90% ers if your commuting from ATL? I didn't know if one usually gets a better quality of pairings making it more commutable etc.. Thank you.

Hmmmmmm....phx.....Luke Airforce base....

Plus there are better hotel deals in Vegas I hear!

What sort of quality of life would an F.O. at 20 - 25% in LAS have ? Is there a marked difference between 35% seniority and 25% in a base ?

Can anyone shed any light on LAS as a base ?

What sort of quality of life would an F.O. at 20 - 25% in LAS have ? Is there a marked difference between 35% seniority and 25% in a base ?

Could mean the difference between Reserve or no reserve. AND RESERVE here sucks (like everywhere else) but commuting to reserve is awful!

East bases (BWI-MCO), I'm in the 75-80% range, LAS and PHX 45 to 55% respectively. Someone could look it up if you tell them generally where you are on seniority lists. OF course all subject to change as guys flow over. AND as far as ATL, I'm guessing with 100 FO's I'd be lucky to hold it with the guys trying to get there especially the Panhandle commuters and the guys who say they'll drive it from Southern Tennessee.

KBB

Could mean the difference between Reserve or no reserve. AND RESERVE here sucks (like everywhere else) but commuting to reserve is awful!

East bases (BWI-MCO), I'm in the 75-80% range, LAS and PHX 45 to 55% respectively. Someone could look it up if you tell them generally where you are on seniority lists. OF course all subject to change as guys flow over. AND as far as ATL, I'm guessing with 100 FO's I'd be lucky to hold it with the guys trying to get there especially the Panhandle commuters and the guys who say they'll drive it from Southern Tennessee.

KBB

Thanks KBB,

Regarding reserve - in my example above I was talking about the top 20 - 25% of seniority in base, not the bottom. So hopefully a reserve line wouldn't be on the menu.

We've got plenty of guys/girls that do the drive from Nashville to Atlanta. Seems to be more efficient than trying to Jumpseat.

Here's some things to consider:

- PHX & LAS both hotter than hell in July & August; however, it gets hotter sooner, and stays hotter later in in the year, in PHX.

- LAS has much better availability on lots of cheap hotels. Only caveat is during big-time LAS events (NFR, etc) when hotels get expensive.

- 20-25% from top should buy you weekday trips all the time; essentially you can work whatever days you want. 35% from top would limit you a little bit on this, especially if you're bidding around holidays. Ditto bidding for vacations.

- More nonstops and easier ways to LAS compared to other domiciles (including off-line ways & redeyes to get to/from LAS), however, there's a lot more commuters doing this than, say, PHX.

- F/Os who create and maintain global Captain avoidance lists cite about 60% of all of the company's avoided Captains are domiciled in PHX. Not sure why that is.

- PHX is very junior for junior F/Os, but fairly senior for senior F/Os, and for Captains in general. LAS is consistenly junior (generally only OAK and occasionally MDW run junior) throughout the spectrum.

Ask around to others you fly with to address your specific concerns, and maybe give each a short tryout. Good luck.

Bubba

Here's some things to consider:

- PHX & LAS both hotter than hell in July & August; however, it gets hotter sooner, and stays hotter later in in the year, in PHX.

- LAS has much better availability on lots of cheap hotels. Only caveat is during big-time LAS events (NFR, etc) when hotels get expensive.

- 20-25% from top should buy you weekday trips all the time; essentially you can work whatever days you want. 35% from top would limit you a little bit on this, especially if you're bidding around holidays. Ditto bidding for vacations.

- More nonstops and easier ways to LAS compared to other domiciles (including off-line ways & redeyes to get to/from LAS), however, there's a lot more commuters doing this than, say, PHX.

- F/Os who create and maintain global Captain avoidance lists cite about 60% of all of the company's avoided Captains are domiciled in PHX. Not sure why that is.

- PHX is very junior for junior F/Os, but fairly senior for senior F/Os, and for Captains in general. LAS is consistenly junior (generally only OAK and occasionally MDW run junior) throughout the spectrum.

Ask around to others you fly with to address your specific concerns, and maybe give each a short tryout. Good luck.

Bubba

Thanks Bubba,

Good info. Phoenix's reputation precedes it: I flew with a fellow pilot who informed me he was already a member of the 'Luke Mafia'. His squadron "Bros" told him that he wasn't hired due to a left wing H.R. preference for civilians.

I wept openly, soiled myself and told him I wasn't allowed to serve in the armed forces due to my fear of velvet.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back