• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA - PHX vs LAS for domicile

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nice post, Bubba. Definitely a keeper for anyone considering those bases.

"Global Avoidance List" sounds pretty sophisticated; I think ours is still mostly a verbal tradition, handed down at hotel bars and crash pads. :laugh:

Apparently, it's gotten shorter, as we send them over to your side of the house for re-tooling. Let's hope it "takes", this time. :D

Last edited:
Nice post, Bubba. Definitely a keeper for anyone considering those bases.

"Global Avoidance List" sounds pretty sophisticated; I think ours is still mostly a verbal tradition, handed down at hotel bars and crash pads. :laugh:

Apparently, it's gotten shorter, as we send them over to your side of the house for re-tooling. Let's hope it "takes", this time. :D

It never "Takes".

KBB

Thanks KBB,

Regarding reserve - in my example above I was talking about the top 20 - 25% of seniority in base, not the bottom. So hopefully a reserve line wouldn't be on the menu.

We've got plenty of guys/girls that do the drive from Nashville to Atlanta. Seems to be more efficient than trying to Jumpseat.

Oh, Sorry, The upper 20%, that would be different!

Yes, PHX has the "Luke Mafia", I was based there for one month but luckily never got to fly with anyone in that group.

Also you will get the "courteous" phone call from the senior FO's where someone says "We don't bid any open time at straight pay in this domicile" but I never got that one either because I don't work extra! I also would have laughed in their face and would have flung some four letter words their way! They definitely march to a different drum there! and trust me I know guys who have got that phone call.

As far as LAS, I have flown a few trips there, Ditto what the others have said, I don't remember as many "Special people" in LAS but you will have to hear about how great everything is in California! EVERYTHING!

And of course with the 20%, you will be able to hold ATL!

Good Luck,
KBB

I've been in both PHX and LAS. All of what KBB is true, but I have flown with guys WAY up the avoidance bid list and not had any problems. I have never had anyone on my avoidance list since no one ever annoyed me enough to sacrifice my quality of life to steer away from them. We may not ever become BFF's but they were fine to work with and professional. That being said, I prefer LAS. It seems to have better trips with a nice mix of trans-cons and hopping up and down the west coast all day. Any base has a completely different feel depending on whether you are a full time AM or PM flyer. I do a little of both but mostly fly PM's. The AM crowd seems to run older as a whole from the PM crowd.

What are the pros and cons of these 2 domiciles for us bottom 80-90% ers if your commuting from ATL? I didn't know if one usually gets a better quality of pairings making it more commutable etc.. Thank you.

LAS, hands down. Also if you fly PM's you may never need a hotel since Delta has a red eye to ATL.

Pecker,

If you bid out west you will be able to get partial weekends and two full weekends via ELLIT.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back