• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA paycheck question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm on 5th year pay. This month I have 12 days off, 133 TFP and I'm blocking 92 hours. I also had 5 TFP for online training which is included.

133*$113.95 = $15,155.35
Per Diem= $580

My 5th paycheck is always $3,156 and that's with 10% on the Roth 401K and no other deductions, single with max withholding's.

My 20th paycheck for May 20th will be between $6,000-$6,100.

DEC 113 TFP, 52 block with 15 days off.
JAN: 115 TFP, 43 block with 17 days off. (7 were vacation)
FEB: 101 TFP, 69 block with 14 days off.
MAR: 117 TFP, 37 block with 13 days off.

What does the 10% to your 401(K) work out to, amount wise, if you don't mind my asking, with or without match from the company?

Lear,

At first glance, it would appear that he probably re-worked his schedule pretty well. Just my guess. Very few of us work the exact schedule we were assigned.

The 10% is the minimum level to capture the full company match of 9.3%. So if he grosses 180k, his will 'top' out his match toward the end of the month...but the company match continues to the end.

17000 is the new max for the employee portion, and at 180k (salary) the company portion would be 16,740. Total for the year would be 33,740.

I prefer a higher contribution on my side (22%), then I top out around June. The July through December checks are very big because the matching on my side is done earlier. It's all personal preference.

RF

Lear,

At first glance, it would appear that he probably re-worked his schedule pretty well. Just my guess. Very few of us work the exact schedule we were assigned.

The 10% is the minimum level to capture the full company match of 9.3%. So if he grosses 180k, his will 'top' out his match toward the end of the month...but the company match continues to the end.

17000 is the new max for the employee portion, and at 180k (salary) the company portion would be 16,740. Total for the year would be 33,740.

I prefer a higher contribution on my side (22%), then I top out around June. The July through December checks are very big because the matching on my side is done earlier. It's all personal preference.

RF

That's what I'm talking about. :pimp:

Huron, were those days off per month you listed decreased from the original line you bid by trips you picked up or were those actual days off as built in your line?

Yes those days were reduced because I picked up extra flying. I believe when they originally came out I had anywhere from 15-17 days off. Since DEC first I picked up 12 days of additional flying on my own. Out of those only 4 were at premium pay.

My original line for May had 18 days off and paid 89 TFP.

Last edited:
What does the 10% to your 401(K) work out to, amount wise, if you don't mind my asking, with or without match from the company?

I've contributed $5,100 to SWA's $4,800. I will max out on my side because I increase my percentage during the summer months. SWA should match somewhere around $14,400 this year.

I should gross about $155,000 this year plus and additional $5,000 in per diem.

I live in domicile which helps on picking up last minute trips in open time, but I'm also in the bottom 10% of my domicile. If I moved to a more junior base I could easily make more money.

It's roughly 47 trips, plus or minus .1 to .5

SLC
:cool:

I didn't think your guarantee was 95 hours? Thought it was 87-89 depending on days in the month?

Also, how easy is it to just drop trips and not pick anything up in exchange? Can you go below min guarantee. With a commute to oak and going from 20 days off a month - to reserve, I'm not looking forward to the extra 60 days (90 days if you include commuting), I have to be gone from my family. Going to be hard to adjust. I think I would rather lose pay then my family....sure hope you can drop below min!

How many days off a month is this and how many hard hours in the seat you think? Thx!

A 7yr FO can get a line that is 18-19 days off that pays 93ish tfp.
Add a 16 tfp 2day, and you get his pay. So if you don't get creative, 16-17 days off, 110 tfp and 82ish block is very realistic.

The above example is how a lot of people make their line work. However the in-domicile and creative pilots successfully average 2x their block. Ie 80 block and 160 tfp.

It is easy to average 7.5-8.5tfp a day.

Last edited:
I didn't think your guarantee was 95 hours? Thought it was 87-89 depending on days in the month?

Also, how easy is it to just drop trips and not pick anything up in exchange? Can you go below min guarantee. With a commute to oak and going from 20 days off a month - to reserve, I'm not looking forward to the extra 60 days (90 days if you include commuting), I have to be gone from my family. Going to be hard to adjust. I think I would rather lose pay then my family....sure hope you can drop below min!

This is a happy thread. Move your negativity to the union board.

5th Pay is 47.5--it is not related to guarantee. 87-89 is guarantee but is rarely a factor.
Very difficult to drop trips--you've got to have something good for somone else to take from you. Can't drop into a pool.
Yes, you can drop below min but not likely--same as above.

Why do you think you'll be in OAK? If you're bottom rung CA, then be a top FO. If you're an pre-announcement FO, the combined list has hundreds of SWA peeps below you. Don't know why everyone thinks they will be displaced to OAK? You do know that 90+% of the OAK base actually wants to be here, right?

Its more dramatic that way. They speak of being dry boned and molested and integrity. You can actually see the black could above their head when they walk around. And that was before the merger announcement. There is not a thread on the internal web forum that has not been turned into a we have been raped, SWA has not integrity, blah blah blah. Something as normal as a question about an overnight quickly degrades.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back