SWA Pay Raise...Congratulations!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PurpleTail said:
Does 1 trip=1 leg? If so, if you work 15 on/15 off and fly 5 legs a day that is about 75 trips a month. To get 100 that would be 20 ON and 10 off at 5 legs a day...ouch! I am not very familiar with SWA pay structure so I could be missing something.
Back in 1971 when we started each leg was 1 Trip For Pay (TFP). DAL, SAT, and HOU were the first three cities. A standard TFP is from Dallas Love (DAL) to Houston Hobby (HOU). The distance is 243 miles. Each additional 40 miles is a 0.1 TFP. In my previous post I mentioned a deadhead leg. OAK - SEA 2:05 Hours pays 2.4 TFP.

AlbieF15 said:
Magnum,

I was just thinking the same thing. I get paperwork in the mail about how the "purple promise" has returned so much for the company this year (GREAT!--I love this company). However, the contrast with the SWA raise is plain as day.

My negotiating committe speaks for me, too.

Just want to point out that the formula for profitability raises was determined during negotiations and was in lieu of hard pay. It seems we get more leverage at the negotiating table when we take something other than hard pay. But of course there are risks.

Good luck.

PurpleTail said:
Does 1 trip=1 leg? If so, if you work 15 on/15 off and fly 5 legs a day that is about 75 trips a month. To get 100 that would be 20 ON and 10 off at 5 legs a day...ouch! I am not very familiar with SWA pay structure so I could be missing something.

Congrats on the raise, you guys/gals are an awesome bunch!

No, one trip use to be one leg when we only had three cities, but today to get 100 TFP (trips for pay) you will work 14 days on/16 off at worst and proabably average 4 or 5 legs a day.

psysicx said:
How often do your trips not end at your hub?
Not very often. You tend to find more deadheads on Saturdays. My trip ends in SEA, where I live, on Saturday. Just need to call Scheduling to get released fro the DH.

Abx pilots have been making serious bank for some time. However, there was an Abx Captain in my SWA new hire class. He said he was well over 200k but absolutely Hated working there. It takes a certain personality for both airlines. Just not the same one.

I have 136 trips for pay in August with 68 block hours (w/ 1 week vacation).

To confuse you guys more that means I'll be making 174.8 per trip.

Guys...that means at the new pay rates a new hire flying 100 trips per month (which is way easy to do) will be making over 50,000 a year. Plus, you get to fly the best looking jets in the industry!

52980 to be exact. That is not to bad for starting pay. I remember AA starting pay was 2200 per month a few years back.

Latest resources

Back