SWA P.I.C. Requirement ??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From the Jetblue website...

"1000 hours PIC (Jetblue considers PIC as the Pilot who signs for/is primarily responsible for the aircraft)"

shootr

how about this?

what if the corporate flight dept. hires you as co-captain? the f/o is typed, but keeps flying from the rt. seat. technically, in the part 91 corporate world, the chief pilot is pic, even if the other guy is a co-captain. unless they swap seats and the chief pilot lets him fly from the left seat.

Another Example!

My wife flew as an F/O on a 767 from STL to the Islands and Europe. Longer than 8 hr flights! She is typed along with the relief pilot. While the Capt. snoozes for 3 hours she is in the left seat/ sole manipulator of the controls and typed. I would think that is PIC time. The Capt. did sign for the A/C but he is out cold in the back ( and some of those old guys really can saw logs).

Just throwing that out for discussion.

Maybe we can count on ole Chase to give us his two cents worth!

Flyky

Straight up from someone at SWA, is a check airman, has ben a newhire sim instructor and part of past hirring boards. TO MEET THE 1000 PIC requirement at SWA it has to be TURBINE and you are the CAPT, i.e. the PERSON RESPONSIBLE. an fo with a type flying from ANY seat DOES NOT COUNT, in any part 121, 135, 91. Now 91 is easy to get away with, all he/she has to do is get the boss to say he/she was the capt and presto. However If your 121 or 135 you have paper work following you around.

from their web:

*Southwest Airlines defines "Pilot in Command" as the Pilot responsible for the operation and safety of the aircraft during flight. This definition is taken from PART I of the FAR. Southwest Airlines further allows logging of PIC as follows: For an aircraft requiring a type rating: If both pilots are type rated, the pilot in the left seat and sole manipulator of the controls may log PIC. If only one pilot is type rated only that pilot may log PIC, regardless of seat position. For aircraft not requiring a type rating: Only the pilot in the left seat and sole manipulator of the controls may log PIC. For military personnel, Southwest Airlines will allow flight time logged as "Pilot In Command" (PIC) only if you are the Captain/Aircraft Commander or Instructor Pilot. Primary time will only be considered PIC on a specific aircraft after an individual upgrades to Aircraft Commander in the appropriate aircraft

"For an aircraft requiring a type rating: If both pilots are type rated, the pilot in the left seat and sole manipulator of the controls may log PIC"

I see some are sighting this but I asked a guy "in the know" and he said it an area of "it depends" like it depend if they catch it or not and who does the catching, he said that most likley it not looked upon as good and right now they have plenty of pilots who meet the 1000pic without using this.

He made it very clear that they want at least 1000 hours of you being the guy in charge, i.e. the guy who the airline, FAA, Military sees/assigned as who's in charge, not who the 2 of you decided who's in charge.

But anyone whishing to try it go ahead, It will only mean less compition for those who don't bend/push the rules.

Last edited:
Hi!

The SWA requirement sounds like the UAL, except that UAL, as I understand it, will only take PIC if you are the one responsible (no exceptions). This extends even to cover military pilots flying solo-if they are in pilot training. It is not PIC, because an instructor is responsible, even though they're not in the plane.

I have logged all my possible PIC time as PIC, but if I were to apply to SWA, or whoever had a similar requirement, I would only list the PIC time where I was the one responsible for the aircraft.

Cliff
GRB

The above post seems accurate. I didn't count somewhere around 70 or so hours of solo jet time from my training command and RAG days where I signed for the aircraft, but was not NATOPS rated in the aircraft yet. Some of that time as a student included carrier landings, blah, blah, blah...but I wasn't technically rated in the aircraft so I didn't count it. Seems conservative, but that's the gouge I recieved and used. Good luck!

If you have to use any interpretation of PIC other than "I was the designated pilot who was/is, current/qualified, solely responsible and Signed for the aircraft, then you are probably outside of the bounds of SWA's PIC definition.

When I tried to get on at SWA I had only part 91 PIC time. I was a corporate co-Captain who swapped legs and swapped seats. I logged all time as PIC accordance with the advice of an FAA inspector. No one ever "signed" for the aircraft. Just the fact that no one signed for the aircraft caused me trouble. I counted only my left seat time as PIC for SWA application purposes, but having logged it all gave the appearance of impropriety. I don't know that the question of PIC was the sole reason I was not selected, I know that I was minimally qualified, low time, and had only an associates degree, but my inside friends confirmed later that it had had a negative effect.

Take it from someone who probably blew his best chance at his dream job. DO NOT take the chance of even the appearance of misleading flight time. You are better off waiting an extra two years to interview, than you are to be forced to wait two years because you failed the first time.

regards,
enigma

Latest resources

Back