• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA or Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
O.K., I have job offers from Southwest AND Delta. What a predicament!! For one, I could care less where I'm based; I'll be a commuter for life. Two, Southwest guys aren't reqired to wear hats. I like that a lot about them.

I've done lots of research on both. Seriously, it's gonna be hard to turn down either one of them. I've wanted to be a Delta pilot since I was five years old but times have changed. I never thought I'd ask anyone this question: would you take Southwest over Delta?

Do you have your type yet? An offer from SWA is just that, an offer. Not until you get your type will you be assigned a class date.

Do you have a class date with DL?

Go with the first class date offered. You don't seem to care much about bases, equipment, pay, or lifestyle so go with the first class offered.

I know what I would pick, I can't imagine flying a 737 for the rest of my career...also doing 10 legs a day...no thanks. I would take the DL job and fly the 767, 787, & 777's just my thoughts though.

Meaning .. you couldn't care less? If you really could care less then where do you want to be based?

Put it this way, Atlanta, Dallas, Cincinatti, Houston, Salt Lake City, Chicago, New York, Baltimore, Oakland, Phoenix, and Vegas all sound great to me.

And no, I don't have the 737 type; only two "conditional" job offers from two great companies.

kids vs. adults

If u want to fly for a commuter the rest of your life - go southwest.

If u want to be an aviator and see the world - go delta.

BTW - all u kids out there who can not spell Pan Am, TWA, Eastern, Western and many others - what's goes around, comes around. SW has nothing assured in their future any more then any one else. In the 60's and 70's the places to be were those gone names. If u like all u'r eggs in one basket - SW is the answer. Else - Delta, and enjoy a great carrier.

Hi!

I think it's IMPOSSIBLE to tell which one is better in the long run.

SWA never furloughed? I heard that before.

DELTA had never furloughed, and a month after I interviewed, they furloughed.

I think a huge thing is do you want to fly over the ocean on LONG legs, or do you want to fly shorter legs, with more landings and takeoffs.

To each his own.

I am applying at both SWA and Delta.

cliff
YIP

Hi!

I think it's IMPOSSIBLE to tell which one is better in the long run.

SWA never furloughed? I heard that before.

DELTA had never furloughed, and a month after I interviewed, they furloughed.

I think a huge thing is do you want to fly over the ocean on LONG legs, or do you want to fly shorter legs, with more landings and takeoffs.

To each his own.

I am applying at both SWA and Delta.

cliff
YIP

Cliff,

Delta has domestic flying where you can do a couple or three legs a day and see the country, or fly the Delta Shuttle and see NYC/BOS/DCA 5 legs a day. I have heard guys who live in DC or BOS fly the Shuttle so they can be home at night instead of their layovers. You also can bid the international flying, and if you get tired of it, you can bid back domestic. Southwest only offers mutiple leg domestic flying.

I know what I would pick, I can't imagine flying a 737 for the rest of my career...also doing 10 legs a day...no thanks. I would take the DL job and fly the 767, 787, & 777's just my thoughts though.

He'll make more money as a 12th yr SWA 737 captain than any Delta captain (be it 767, 787, or 777).

He'll make more money as a 12th yr SWA 737 captain than any Delta captain (be it 767, 787, or 777).
assuming the Delta rates don't come up from current levels. I think that would be a VERY wrong assumption. As soon as and as long as they economy and this industry continue to do well, Delta will pretty much agree to "any" rate the delta pilot group asks for (the moon), same as they always have. There in lies the rub (IMHO). They still have not "fixed" there real problem: mindset.

That's assume he get hired today, see an upgrade in 7 years and then another 12 years to be a 12 yrs. captain...AND that delta pay rates will not change...but stay tuned on that point...

Make u'r calculations on a year over year and the progration possible at delta and over the same time delta pay is more then double then SW. And life goes on.

Latest resources

Back