• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Swa Oct Db

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anyone get a letter yet? No letter in today's mail but I'm not sure if it would make it from Dallas this soon.

buddy of mine got interviewed in Sept also

he said some of his ref's were being called also

I would assume this is more positive than a negative sign?

when will ALL the calls be done with for the Sept interviews?

thanks

To those selected so far, congrats to you & your family. All the folks at SWA look forward to having you join the team....keep your egos in check, show ample humility and help Southwest find more good folks like yourself.

For those who haven't heard yet, don't dispair, it ain't over until the letter arrives. If it does it isn't the end of the world but the beginning of your next journey to get to your next stop....even if it is SWA....I've said it many times & will again, SWA takes many folks on the 2nd, 3rd & 4th time around so don't despair. It isn't that those not selected aren't "good guys/gals" or "aren't SWA material", it simply means on that day/time things didn't work out & that you'll have another chance (if you so desire) to come back again & show SWA why they missed out on a oood thing the first time!!! Good luck to all,

Zymotic, Take the following for what it is worth:

I knew 4 folks (all Mil) who interviewed in the Sept Group. All met the October DB. Three of the four had references called, don't know about #4. Zero of 4 were hired and all got the dreaded letter, so just cause your references get called does not mean you will get hired. Two interviewed with the standard group of 12 and said only 2 of the 12 (civilian RJ types) admitted to being hired [as best as they could put together]. Even prep with Chase didn’t work for one guy [not dissing Chase in any manner, he is a credit to the board, I've met him and think he does great work]. Take all the numbers with a grain of salt – I haven’t seen very much in the way of “hire” numbers for the October DB so don’t think we have real accurate info. Seemed like only six folks chimed in as “hired” in your thread and of course nobody likes to post that they were not.

I think it is very important for folks to realize that SWA is extremely competitive and even folks who dot every “i”, cross every “t”, seeming have all the right qualities will still not get in. And of course SWA does not tell you why they don’t hire you. Everyone gets the same letter.

Why does that matter to the rest of us … you need plan B. When we talk with our friends we should be pitching other carriers and helping them think about “what if LUV does not take you.” Like it or not, the 737 type is expensive and might be out of reach for some folks. Don’t jeopardize the family to get the type.

I’ve posted before and told folks, have a backup plan. Don’t put all the eggs in one basket; it is too competitive right now.

Maybe we will hear from some more folks this week as letters arrived Thursday and Friday. Good Luck Zymotic and congrats to the folks who got picked up.

"I think it is very important for folks to realize that SWA is extremely competitive and even folks who dot every “i”, cross every “t”, seeming have all the right qualities will still not get in. And of course SWA does not tell you why they don’t hire you. Everyone gets the same letter."

If ya call the People Dept., they'll tell you what your strengths and weakeness were.

Last edited:
Got The Letter

I did get the letter last Saturday. Needless to say, I'm extremely dissapointed. However, I still want to work for SWA in a really bad way.

I called the PD and was told they no longer give you any indication why you didn't get hired. Not even a hint.

As to putting all my eggs in one basket- my wife and I are undecided at this time. Getting hired at SWA would have put that issue to rest but it didn't happen. Some may say it is folly to not apply to other airlines. However there are many factors involved. First and foremost, I have 7 years at my current company- earning about 70K. I'm somewhat insulated from furlough/ industry downturn by my seniority( in the top 15%) and the fact that my company is fairly good at picking up new business if a codeshare partner should fail. I'm ten minutes from the employee parking lot and I live in domicile. I like the city I live in and the cost of living in that city is very reasonable. My wifes family live fairly close and that's important to her and myself. I am very opposed to commuting with the exception of short term. This means a new job would most likely mean moving. Moving is acceptable but still a big undertaking.

So the question boils down to wait for a second shot at SWA and then look at other options or apply now. I've got 27 years left until I turn 60. Not a huge rush to change jobs. Its been said that seniority is everything. However, maybe there is something to be said for waiting. Also, being at the bottom of another companies senoirity list has its perils too.

Zymotic,

Interviewed 23 Sep. 6 of 12 dudes admitted to references contacted. 5 of 6 got the continue call. 3 of 5 had some military background (2 heavies, 1 fighter). 3 of 5 had airline experience. 2 civvies were lear and regional pilots. experience levels were from 1800 - 6500 hrs tt.

One goofy not (sing out anyone if you've heard of this before). A bud of mine interviewed on a separate day than me. His references were contacted, and he met the Oct DB. He has yet to get a phone call or a letter. Ideas???

You never said if you got the call (not sure if you intended to or not).

As your your bud, maybe he was moved to the next DB. In my opinion it would be safe to call and ask since it has been over a week. Maybe the letter was lost in the mail. Who know? I don't think they would mind a call.

Latest resources

Back