Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA newhires required to buy Scott Leather flight bag??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have the Scott's bag. The Jumbo bag with square top and the strap handles that go all the way under the bag. I added an inside pouch and one outside pocket.

totally untrue. a lot of SWA guys do buy it in training because well... you get swept up in the moment, and it is a cool bag. i would say 50% of online pilots have a scott bag, and perhaps 60-70% of new hires i have seen lately have 'em... but really, if you have a beat up old bag you might what to keep it so your shiny new bag doesn't make you look like the new guy.

Go Cheap

My first $30 Office Depot lookalike pilot bag exploded right before the warranty expired on an overnight in SAT 2 1/2 years ago. Walked to the mall next to the hotel and exchanged it before my flight the next day. Still holding up strong to this day. Now that I've said that, it will probably fall apart tomorrow. Fits fine in the 300/500 and 700.

canyonblue737 said:
totally untrue. a lot of SWA guys do buy it in training because well... you get swept up in the moment, and it is a cool bag. i would say 50% of online pilots have a scott bag, and perhaps 60-70% of new hires i have seen lately have 'em... but really, if you have a beat up old bag you might what to keep it so your shiny new bag doesn't make you look like the new guy.

I tossed mine down the fire stairs at the Rennaissance a few times. You'd never know it was only three months old!

You can do a search for flight bags/pilot bags or some other concoction and get a pretty good list of bags. Korchmar (not sure on spelling) has one that goes about $100 cheaper than the Scott bag and is pretty close to the same thing. There was a big close out on one model late last year that dropped the price even moreand got a lot of attention...to the point that the company rasied the prices again. Do some research and get the best deal you can. Probably some info here in the FlightInfo archives as well...

Rumor has it that the company is moving forward with the "electronic flight bag". This is because Fujitsu, the manufacturer of our OPC or On board Performance Computer is no longer making the computer and we're running out. Implementation should start somewhere around 1Q06. This system will replace Jepps, FRM, FOM, OPC, and MEL. You will at some point only be required to carry a headset, flashlight, and cool looking sunglasses.
Nothing has been announced....yet. :cool:

Personally....I would walk to Dallas in my underwear if Southwest gave me a job. Then I would ask how many Scott bags do you want me to buy?

And in the meantime, spring for a leather bag.

XR650R said:
Rumor has it that the company is moving forward with the "electronic flight bag". This is because Fujitsu, the manufacturer of our OPC or On board Performance Computer is no longer making the computer and we're running out. Implementation should start somewhere around 1Q06. This system will replace Jepps, FRM, FOM, OPC, and MEL. You will at some point only be required to carry a headset, flashlight, and cool looking sunglasses.

True statement...we flew one of the vendors home from DAL who was peddling a version of this electronic gizmo to the fine folks at HQ last week.

XR650R said:

Would "SCHWING!" be an appropriate word to use to describe how excited that makes me??

Latest resources

Back