SWA New City? Hmmm....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chase

Interesting article linking new SWA city to Southwest FL......I guess we'll see come Monday.

Posted today at the NBC2 site below. Purports that "Lee County" alias "Southwest Florida International Airport" alias "KRSW" will be our newest city. I thought our ATA code share already served that market?

http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=3704&z=3&p=

"Southwest comes to Southwest Florida
NBC2 News
Posted on: Saturday, June 25, 2005
LEE COUNTY — Sources tell NBC2 News that Southwest Airlines will be landing at Southwest Florida International Airport's new Midfield Terminal.

Southwest is known for its low-fare service and is one of the many airlines that is expanding during a time where the airline industry is struggling. The Dallas-based airline announced last month that it is adding Pittsburgh International Airport as a stop. Southwest currently operates over 400 Boeing 737 aircraft in 60 cities, in 31 states. The 34-year-old company employs more that 31,000 employees nationwide.

More details on the new airline are expected Monday at 10 a.m. during Joint Board meeting of the Lee County Port Authority and Airports Special Management Committee.

Count on NBC2 News to bring you all the details as they develop."
Currently ATA does fly out of RSW....don't know how that will work out but SWA doesn't compete with ATA on routes to & from similar cities directly. One could conclude that ATA will be pulling out but that will be determined in the future obviously. I just provide this info since ATA & SWA are codesharing....no intel on what will happen in this arena...will make for the first test of how things are going between the two airlines. BTW, have run into several ex-ATA folks, some who left before the preferential interview agreement, several after the agreement was inked. Good luck to all...

Last edited:
Fort Myers was my prediction for the new city a few weeks ago. The new facility gives SWA room to grow in a market filled with LCC routes. Looks like I got one right.:)

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Skyrunner said:
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
My favorite Ty expression.:D

chase said:
Interesting article linking new SWA city to Southwest FL......I guess we'll see come Monday.

Posted today at the NBC2 site below. Purports that "Lee County" alias "Southwest Florida International Airport" alias "KRSW" will be our newest city. I thought our ATA code share already served that market?

I am sure we will see ATA either reduce service or leave the RSW market entirely in the near future.

It is obvious that SWA is using ATA as a placeholder for many domestic cities.

Don't mistake my opinions for sour-grapes....I recognize the realities in this marriage of convenience between us and SWA.

I think there will be no domestic growth, only reduction, for ATA in the future.

I just keep asking myself why SWA "needs" ATA to carry their passengers between MDW and MSP (or any other domestic city that we codeshare on).

SWA is in a major expansion period and will need to allocate those resources as they become available.

At best ATA will end up being SWA's International/Hawaian codeshare partner when all this plays out in the end.

So is there any intel from within that this may also turn into a new pilot base? I thought I heard a rumor earlier this year that a new pilot base would open up at the end of the year. That would be primo!

chase said:
BTW, have run into several ex-ATA folks, some who left before the preferential interview agreement, several after the agreement was inked. Good luck to all...

Said agreement is no longer happening. SWA has stopped giving preferential interviews to ATA furloughess.

As far as number of furloughees hired, I believe that it turned out to be something like 5 ATA furloughees hired out of about 60 interviews given.

[QUOTE='LUVIN LIFE]So is there any intel from within that this may also turn into a new pilot base? I thought I heard a rumor earlier this year that a new pilot base would open up at the end of the year. That would be primo![/QUOTE]

Man you are new to this business aren't you! ;)

Good luck on your new career. :)

Luvin,

There was "some" talk of a pilot base last year, early but when the new optimized schedule came out last Oct the improved efficiency of the aircraft flows & improved schedule allowed the company to delay establishing a new pilot base until sometime in '06 or '07 (or so the rumor mill goes).

Hope that helps...don't go buying any property based on anything on this board for sure!!! good luck

Latest resources

Back