SWA May Interviews

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

C-21Pilot

A good friend of mine interviewed May 3rd and is stressed out because his contacts have not been called yet.

Any other early May interviewees heard anything yet about contacts being called?

Phone Calls

Spoke w/ a SWA Captain this week.

If they call your references it doesn't mean too much.

If they DON"T call your references, it doesn't mean too much.

That's right.

Read some other gouge on this board. References were called and some were not hired.

What happens is that the group interviews the week of May 3rd. Beginning on Monday of the 2nd week (May 10th) someone begins calling the references, doing the background checks, etc.

This is where it is speculative, I believe the individual calling the references is actually a SWA Captain involved in the interview process (who may or may not have been interviewing the previous week).

So, don't sweat the fact that you haven't heard anything.

Wish everyone the best of luck.

BTW, I'm looking for an insurance salesman :p

How close was that SWA captain to the hiring process?

I agree that references being called doesn't guarantee any result, but if references are NEVER called, I think that's a very definite indicator. References being called means that you "passed" the minimum level at the interview & your record will go to the Decision Board, which will then decide... can go either way at that point. Those who "fail" the interview do not get their references called, and will meet the Decision Board only to be rejected. (For legal reasons, only the DB can officially turn down a candidate... but when some step in the process indicates a "no" vote, they save the time & $ of the other steps.)

So, yes, references being called matters.

And yes, it is a SWA pilot (or two or three) who makes the calls. That coming from a conversation with a pilot who used to do exactly that, plus another (current) interview pilot.

All that said, it's a SMALL number of guys making the calls, and they may well be a little backed up right now, so DON'T SWEAT IT if it takes a while before the references are called. (Also, don't assume that the reference will automatically tell you when he's been contacted... some will, some won't. Ask.) BUT, when you DO hear that a reference has been called, you can know that the others WILL get calls, and you're "still in the game" heading into the Decision Board.

I offer this because the time after the interview is stressful enough as is; if guys have some insight into the process & the ability to get a bit of good news from their buds, then maybe this will be helpful to somebody out there.

All the best,

Snoopy

Thanks for the update!

It is nice that "those in the know" are posting relevant information. I thought mine was good; your information is definitely better!!

Thank you.

My bud still has not had references called 2 1/2 weeks post interview. Board supposedly meets first week of June. Anyone know for sure when the board is exactly?

Has anyone heard of references being called this late in the game ?

Do you think he did not make it past the interview? Is it possible to not have your references called and still get called for the drug test?

Just trying to keep hope alive!

I interviewed on Wednesday May 5th. My references started to be called on Monday May 10th.

I hope that I am still in the running.

(By the way, my references said that it was a chief pilot that had called them about me.)

I have a early June interview. Will the dates right before the board be included or will we have to wait till next month.

Hard to say

I'm sure there is some deadline/line in the sand the DB folks draw in the sand but I personally believe that it all comes down to whether or not all of the required info to meet the decision board is gathered in time by the background checkers, references called, documents search from the FAA/DOT are returned in time, etc.

With those variables unknown to you or me it would be pure speculation. Not knowing is difficult but you know you'll either meet the June board or the July board, take some time off, press on with things & simply wait it out. If your references start getting called after the interview, celebrate that event (not too much though) & simply wait for the other shoe to fall. One could call the PD & ask them personally if you are meeting the June board & that is option but short of them telling you precisely there is no one who would know. Again my recommendation is only to simply wait and not call but I'm sure calling won't have an detrimental effect on your selection one way or the other. I'm just always geared to minimizing the work load on the ladies of the PD when I can. However, I know they are always happy to help anyone who has an issue they need info on. Good luck,

Latest resources

Back