SWA March class?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As if...

As much as I want it to be true, how old is that estimate? Is it based on pre- 9/11 growth plans? That growth spurt may have to wait till post contingency/war and an improving economy.
I may be stupid enough to hit the "new thread" button instead of the "post reply" button, and it's a shame this forum software doesn't let you delete stupid mistakes, but I heard this info from the trng ctr. bosses in Feb. 2003 (last week), so I'm not quite dumb enough to post something that I heard pre-9/11, as we all know that was a different world. Guess I am dumb enough to run a sentence too long, huh?

don't take it personally big guy ...

Maynard,
thanks for the information - and the source. There is a lot of bad info out there and the more optimistic it is the more the pool rats (especially the soggy ones) are skeptical. 600 is a lot - pre 9-11 weren't they only doing 4-500?
The information about short term plans is kind'o jelling. 4 more classes = 80 pilots which sounds like they are just covering the retirements this year. Does anybody remember the aircraft delivery schedule + projected retirements for this year?
I know it could be much worse - but does anybody else feel like Christmas has been canceled?

Re: don't take it personally big guy ...

ivauir said:
Does anybody remember the aircraft delivery schedule + projected retirements for this year?

Net gain of 11 aircraft

Sorry

Got up on the wrong side of bed today...
I agree, it's great news...Hope it happens.

Pilots per Plane (PpP)

10.4 pilots per plane is what management looks for.

No good news or bad news from the training center.

150 +/- for the year.

military call ups are occuring (don't know how this figures in)

A credible source was still optimistic for the coming couple of years.

Planes are still on order (not options, but firm orders) so hiring should increase for the next several years. Retirements also go up.

SWA is a great place. In my 3 weeks here it has far surpassed my previous employer.

Slug

Capt Upgrades

There was a "capt" upgrade class for Feb & is expected to be one for Mar also, usually about 8 folks per class. "Tentative" plans is for 1 per month for awhile but as with SWA things can turn on a dime. These can't necessarily be equated directly to new hire classes but it does show there is movement on the seniority list & things are moving albeit slowly forward. Unknowns, war w/Iraq, other terrorist attacks will rapidly put a halt to further expansion (for awhile) because the current balance sheet is thin but at least a little in the black. A lot of uncertainity out there but hang in there. cheers & God Bless,

Last edited:
Spoke with LL this morning. She said 80 more new hires this year is the number being thrown arround, with those in class by the end of June. Sadly if that number holds true I'll miss the last class this year by six. Currently I'm #76 on our unoffical list.

Xmetrojet

I've waited this long....

I've done one (year) here in this pool, and I can do another. Besides, it gives me more time to read all the interesting stuff that gets posted on this board every week.

Oh, and by the way guys, don't forget to give LL a call on your one year anniversary. Let's just hope we all get to meet her and the PD gang personally before the 2nd one rolls around next year.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back