Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Interview Prep

First of all -
Hey Yahtzee! Hope your move went ok - just got back from my two weeks (for now...) active duty down in the Banana Republics...gonna do another two months to pay bills until SWA calls (hopefully soon!) Oh yeah - UGA has #5 recruiting class in country - somehow UF was #3 and LSU #1 - at least my wife will be happy!

now for the hopeful to interview with SWA...

I interviewed EXACTLY one year ago to the day!

This is what I can remember to help with:

1. Please reply with the toughest interview question you had at SWA.

I can't remember exactly what the question was, but it was one that was not on the common question prep list and I had to wing it on the spot - not a problem - you can usually use one of your stories that's close to the money if not right on the button. Some of the HR questions were more difficult to answer because I had to explain more in depth an answer that contained a techical term like refusal / V1.

2. What would you have done differently at the interview?

Not really - the couple of professional interview preps at Randolph did wonders to refine the nervousness! (Thanks Faye!)
Be yourself and relax and be honest - SWA is hiring a person , not a model of perfection! ( I mean , they hired ME!)

3. Were you surprised by anything?

I was surprised by the room I first interviewed in! They have different themes which is kind of cool and helps relax you. I figured it had to be a good omen with the Duke their with his six-shooters and C3PO watching me interview!
By the way... I was gouged up about the "chest" but was not interviewed by that person! who know's how I would have done!

4. What was the best thing you did to prepare for the interview?

Several things... 1) a professional prep service can help with everything from personal grooming/appearance/clothing to story presentation (Thanks again Faye!)
2) Go over your flight stories about 10 times and at least 5 with your other squadron buddies...they'll share a storie with you that triggers one of your own you had forgotten about.
3) Be yourself, be open , be honest. We've all screwed up, they know that , they have too, and they've been in the same position you want to be. Show what you learn from your mistakes and turn a negative into a postive! Smile and try to relax. If you're a good honest person not trying to pull off an image you'll handle the questions that surprise you much better.

Hope that helps!

Aloha, Les

Relax and be yourself

This is a no kidding true story....
Interview #1, first 20 seconds...
Guy enters, introduces himself, and says "feel free to remove you coat." I, having heard this would happen, delayed until he started to remove his coat, and began to remove mine.
Suddenly, I felt a physically choking sensation...
Being a fighter pilot, and only wearing a coat and tie to "mandatory" functions, I was not aware that it is possible to grab your tie AND your coat if you're not careful....
So, I was choking myself (sts), and I'm sure looking very mature and experienced to my interviwer, who was trying hard not to look.
I had to turn around and look in the reflection of a picture to attempt to put my tie somewhere back near my 12:00, all the time thinking it's over in the first 30 sec....
But, if you get really ugly in the first 30 sec, it CAN'T get any worse, and it didn't!!
I was as surprised as anybody else when I got the good news...
Long story, but you can overcome a lot of bad things if you just relax and tell your story.....:D

I interviewed Jan 6, 01, went to class May 10, 01.

I knew three things about SWA by the time I went to the interview: 1 funny colored airplanes. 2 SWA taxied very fast
3 SWA flew in wx conditions I mostly avoided.

Having a job at the regional ranks and pretty good seniority, I knew all SWA could say after the interview was thanks or no thanks and I'd still have my job. That took most of the pressure off me.

My first interviewer and I hit it off well, literally. I dropped my notebook and we both went to pick it up...yes we smacked our noggins together. Although I was pretty embarrased at this point, not 10 seconds into the interview, I started laughing. Then he started laughing. Then I asked him if I should just leave, he said nooooooo! He said a couple of knotheads like ourselves should at least get to know each other. Things went well after that.

Second interviewer was the PD lady. She asked me what the most unusual thing that had happened on a flight was. I told her that comming into CLE at O' dark thirty my FO had a really bad case of the Aunt Jamima Grizzlies and really needed to use the lav. Long story short, FO went to the lav while I held over the lake at 4,000ft for 15 mins. Hell, I thought that was pretty unusual...so did she.

Last guy wanted to know what the red spot on my head was. I told him what happened in the first interview, and he busted out laughing. Apparently I made the Darwin Awards for the SWA interview process.

Thing about it is, they hired me. And if they'll hire me, they hire you. Keep you sense of humor about you, and relax.

Oh yeah, try not to think about the head clanging thing when you go to your interview....it may just happen again.

Adios........HC

Hey out there, I'm new to the site and just want say thanks for all the great replies to the interview questions that Chase posted.

As a SWA hopeful they're much appreciated. I'll be sure and spread the word.

Before I leave I would like to ask the $64 thousand dollar question: In these competitive times, how can us SWA wannabees improve our chances of being called for an interview?

I've got my type and my application is in. I was able to include some letters of recommend from FOs. Now what? Just keep in touch and be patient?

P.S. Thanks to Chase for getting this thread started. You pulled this "lurker" right out of the water.

see-ya

UGApilotDAWG said:
Hey Yahtzee! Hope your move went ok - just got back from my two weeks (for now...) active duty down in the Banana Republics...gonna do another two months to pay bills until SWA calls (hopefully soon!) Oh yeah - UGA has #5 recruiting class in country - somehow UF was #3 and LSU #1 - at least my wife will be happy!Aloha, Les

Good post Dawg! We have to keep Pegasus informed about UGA recruiting....at least until he start class. ;)

I haven't heard from him in a few weeks since I've been packing, moving, and traveling about! I guess the move went about as smooth as they can go....1000 lbs of junk at my parent's, the rest in long term storage.

Someone asked me what it was like to be out, and I agree with the wise post of another: "The Freedom is Intoxicating." At least for the short run....My unit is getting activated, so my Altus class date may move up....and I was just starting week 2 of my 10.5 week vacation. Oh well....I still got a 5 week vacation!

I have no regrets about moving to Charleston...What a great place! The Cooper River Bridge 10K is 5 April...so I need to go running.

Thanks to all the poolies who replied. I trully appreciate the effort! Especially, SWA Guy & Waitin. Those stories were priceless!

Yahtz

P.S. Pegasus...looking forward to drinking that cold Coca-Cola one day after you start class! Peace to you and the family!

Looks like I am owed some beverages now, since I never made the 17 Feb class :(

Looking fwd to the cold coke and the single malt :)

Now back to the original topic; any news of the next class date?

All is quiet on the western front

No News is bad news - does anyone have any rumors to spread about March and beyond? Has anyone spoken to LL this week?

No, but I just got off the phone with OakRBust who started yesterday (For once in my life, he's not senior to me for a while..).
He said the official word in DAL is only 80 more new hires in 2003, of course subject to change. That's just the current guess based on war/economy, etc. I really hope this is wrong...

That sounds like a rotten rumor!

I know, W8n4SWA, why don't you cheer everyone up by removing all those who are already in Dallas from our list? Don't forget that B747dogg and Beechdriver32 are already in Dallas as well.

Failing that, I could write a poem..? No..
Ah well...
Back to waiting :(

Since SWA has been saying that things change on a monthly basis, it would seem to me that a definitive number of new hires for the remainder of the year would not be in line with what they have been doing.

If this intellegance is from someone who heard it from the source, than it is what it is.

Did he say when they would be hiring the 80 pilots?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back