Swa maintenance issues?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The problem is that would result in fewer days off
No it doesn't. We have a max duty day of 12 hours at AAI. We get well above the average days off for the industry.
Safety is safety....If 9 hours of flying isn't safe, then it isn't safe even with a 12 hour duty day.....
Ridiculous. Eight hours of flying during a 15 hour duty day is far more fatiguing than 8 hours of flying in a 10 hour duty day.
The fact is, this was opposed by the ALPA legacy carriers because it would have given Jetblue a competive advantage
Not even close to accurate. It was opposed because of the precedent set by the "People Express rule," otherwise known as the 3585 exemption. Exemption 3585 was originally intended to be used just for People Express. They wanted the exemption because of weather problems in their EWR hub that were causing cancellations. The exemption was never intended to be used industry-wide, but guess what happened? Now we all get the "joys" of dispatching under 3585. You think an 8-hour exemption for JetBlue would be different? Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
It isn't the hours of flying that is fatiguing....It is the duty time and the circadian rythem and the number of legs.....
It's all of the above in combination.

From the AIN website:http://www.ainonline.com/news/singl...uthwest-airlines/?no_cache=1&cHash=d672a038e6

The FAA today said it planned to levy a $10.2 million civil penalty against Southwest Airlines for operating 46 airplanes that hadn’t undergone mandatory inspections for fuselage fatigue cracking. Subsequently, the airline found that six of the 46 airplanes had developed fatigue cracks.

“The FAA is taking action against Southwest Airlines for a failing to follow rules that are designed to protect passengers and crew,” said FAA Associate Administrator for Aviation Safety Nicholas Sabatini. “We expect the airline industry to fully comply with all FAA directives and take corrective action.”

The FAA alleges that from June 18, 2006, to March 14, 2007, Southwest operated 59,791 flights without performing repetitive inspections of certain fuselage areas on its Boeing 737s to detect fatigue cracking as required by a Sept. 8, 2004 Airworthiness Directive. The agency also alleges that after the airline discovered that it had failed to perform inspections, it continued to operate the same 46 aircraft on another 1,451 flights between March 15, 2007 and March 23, 2007. The FAA said in a statement that the amount of the civil penalty reflects the serious nature of those “deliberate” violations.

The AD in question mandated repetitive external detailed and eddy-current inspections at intervals of no more than 4,500 flight cycles to detect fatigue cracking in areas of the fuselage skin on some Boeing 737 models.

Southwest Airlines has 30 days from receipt of the FAA’s civil penalty letter to respond to the agency.

Negative, the FAA inspectors found it and brought it to the attention of SWA, and they said, "Oh Yeah". Self disclosed is not making over 60,000 flights over inspection, and racking up $10MM in fines.

If SWA had Boeings concurance on the safety, they would have it in writing through an AMOC (alternate method of compliance), which would have made it legal.

Double negative....SWA has stated in their press release to the public that they self-disclosed...to the PMI. In fact, in this very evening, SWA said that if they hadn't self-disclosed, that the FAA possibly would've never found out.

SWA does have all the data from the discussion that took place between the PMI, Boeing and SWA. Just because you don't have it doesn't mean that it's not there.

This turns out to be a spitting match between 2 people in an FAA office.

Not one penny in fines will be paid..bank on that

Two wrongs don't make a right. And it's a slippery slope.

I wouldn't want my kids on a flight landing back at JFK on an icy runway after a long day like that. Long days and flip flop duty periods are what we're trying to fight in the first place.

OK, but to avoid the 8 hour rule here is what you can get....

Morning flight to the West Coast.....go to the hotel during the day.....and fly the red eye back to the East Coast....Are you going to put your kids on the red eye to the East Coast?

How about an 14 hour duty day with 7 legs, but only 8 hours of flying....We do those all the time at the regionals.....Many times with 300 hour folks in the right seat....

Safety is all relative and sometimes it seems like we focus on the wrong things.....

Double negative....SWA has stated in their press release to the public that they self-disclosed...to the PMI. In fact, in this very evening, SWA said that if they hadn't self-disclosed, that the FAA possibly would've never found out.

SWA does have all the data from the discussion that took place between the PMI, Boeing and SWA. Just because you don't have it doesn't mean that it's not there.

This turns out to be a spitting match between 2 people in an FAA office.

Not one penny in fines will be paid..bank on that
So your excuse is that your management was too incompetent to know that the PMI has no authority to waive these inspections? That's not much of a defense.

OK, but to avoid the 8 hour rule here is what you can get....

Morning flight to the West Coast.....go to the hotel during the day.....and fly the red eye back to the East Coast....Are you going to put your kids on the red eye to the East Coast?

Agreed. If, and when the rest rules are changed, I hope sleep cycles are part of the mix.

Southwest Airlines has added a news release to its Investor Relations we........

...Based on the available data and information reviewed, it is apparent that
there was no risk to the flying public in March 2007 while Southwest Airlines
performed their program to re-inspect the small area of aircraft fuselages
identified in the AD inspection that was inadvertently missed.

Gregory A. Feith
International Aviation Safety & Security Consultant

I guess they brought sodas and treats to Greg's office.

Seriously, though, I think this is much adoo about nothing. Its nothing more than an opportunity for a few feds and congressmen to do some grandstanding, prancing around with their puffed up feathers.

Last edited:
So your excuse is that your management was too incompetent to know that the PMI has no authority to waive these inspections? That's not much of a defense.

Geeez....you are reading way too much into my post. Nobody has talked about waiving anything.

Just relax....this is all gonna turn out to be OK...and, not only will you be able to resume breathing normally, but like I said before, there will not be any fine paid by SWA.

...that, you can take to the bank.

Fellas I got an email today from SWA about their response to the problem. I'm on the frequent flyer list so I get the occasional email. Just that alone will give this legs. Now even if you had no idea about the problem, if you got that email you are probably dying to find out more. It'll come back.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back