• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA locks in more hedges

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't post too much on here, I just like a good laugh. But I do have to say to General Lee, who usually gives me a good laugh because I don't think he/she is all that bright....why is it ALWAYS Southwest that you pick on? When I see that, I automatlcally think "jealousy." I don't fly for Southwest, but I do know they are a great airline with great management. I would take that, no matter what the layovers are, any day over working at most other airlines right now. I have a family to support and bills to pay. Just because an airline doesn't fly to Rio or Paris, doesn't make that airline a crap airline. It does mean that the pilots at that airline (Southwest) are making enough money, that on their 16-20 days off, they can take a trip, on their own, over to Rio or Paris, jumpseating on Delta. By the way, don't forget that Delta has more than a few 737's. And don't forget where you came from. I can't believe what this industry has come to. We all do the same thing. We fly airplanes. Yet, we can sit on this board and bad mouth other pilots and think nothing of it-just because we work for different companies. Guess what....we are all in the same boat. Any one of us can end up on the street. Even gen. lee.

Wow, I don't know whether to laugh or cry? Ahhh, I'll just laugh at this one. Yeah, you sure can go down to Rio or Paris jumpseating on us. I never see that though. You make it seem like you guys make sooooo much more than our pilots, and it just isn't the case. Yes, you have great pay, but not what our guys "had" in the good days before BK (not created by pilot salaries, btw). Yes, Delta has 737s, and we have several options when it comes to flying, which is nice for us. Our pay is fairly good, and we can make more by upgrading or transitioning to larger aircraft. As far as doing the same thing, we were hired at different airlines with different missions. Yes, we both fly planes, but we were hired knowing what type of flying was offered. If you like yours, great. Sure, we could all end up on the street, no doubt there. My point was that some of your pilots get livid when someone who doesn't fly for SWA doesn't actually want to. Delta isn't all about INTL flying, since you can easily bid domestic and do a variety of planes and trip types, and that isn't what SWA guys on here state. Have a great one.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Good point. To each his own and I agree with you on that one. Anyways, good work on that "United Plus" contract several years ago. How's that working out? I still see "Delta" jets all over the place, although they look kind of small, much like your.....

Well, I am still happy that we are "United Plus", and hope that never changes. We did just get a joint contract done with NWA, which will give us a 17% raise over the next 4 years, and equity and profit sharing. As far as what happened after our BK, we were all given equity in exchange for those concessions, and I got about $240,000 (for going BK), which filled my 401K for 2006 and 2007, and then the rest was taxed normally. Not too bad. And, if you are seeing smaller Delta jets, you haven't been at our hubs lately. RJs are leaving quick, and we have started flying more 777s. We did just receive our current "smallest" mainline plane though, new 737-700s. We have 4 or 5 new ones now, and they will goto very interesting destinations like Manaus, Brazil on trips. Sounds fun, eh? Other places the new -700s currently go are Bermuda, Liberia, Costa Rica, and will start Tegucigalpa, Hondouras and Cuzco, Peru (rumor for that one) Have a great one.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
the funny thing is, back in the day (about 10.000 Gen Lee posts ago), he was fairly objective on his posts. Sometime between '03 and the present the Gen got real offensive about SWA...
Wonder what that's all about?

I still try to be objective, but somewhere back then I was confronted with a barage of incredible ego, right around our BK. I would NEVER start an argument with an airline or it's employees I respect, but was ticked off by someone apparently. The ribbing must have become more intense, and bad feelings followed. Most of the slams about ELP are followed with I still like your pay, stews, etc. Hey, we are different airlines, with different missions, and you enjoy yours. Great.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Age 65 does not affect me in any way whatsoever. We already have people who are flying in their 70s although that is probably not the route that I will take. As for my captain making less than copilot pay, that came direct from an ER pilot who sat on my jumpseat when I flew for a regional. Enjoy your hotel.

Great, you fly for a fractional. No age limits there. And, I do enjoy the hotels, and the surrounding areas. Luckily I have the seniority to bid for variety.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Wow, I don't know whether to laugh or cry? Ahhh, I'll just laugh at this one. Yeah, you sure can go down to Rio or Paris jumpseating on us. I never see that though. You make it seem like you guys make sooooo much more than our pilots, and it just isn't the case. Yes, you have great pay, but not what our guys "had" in the good days before BK (not created by pilot salaries, btw). Yes, Delta has 737s, and we have several options when it comes to flying, which is nice for us. Our pay is fairly good, and we can make more by upgrading or transitioning to larger aircraft. As far as doing the same thing, we were hired at different airlines with different missions. Yes, we both fly planes, but we were hired knowing what type of flying was offered. If you like yours, great. Sure, we could all end up on the street, no doubt there. My point was that some of your pilots get livid when someone who doesn't fly for SWA doesn't actually want to. Delta isn't all about INTL flying, since you can easily bid domestic and do a variety of planes and trip types, and that isn't what SWA guys on here state. Have a great one.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Ummm, like I stated in my original post, I don't work for Southwest.

the two most posted things on FI

1. G.L. spouting about flying to Europe, his "choices" & great hotels, slamming SWA, but then dropping a quick "but I like your stews" comment to make him look better.....oh and ending with "That's FANTASTIC"

2. "mesa sucks"

next...

The Gerbil's most said thing on those Rio overnights:

1. Do I have to pay by the hour or can I pay by the minute?

2. Will you hang out with me and pretend you are my girlfriend.

3. How come the crew won't come downstairs and hang out with me?

4. I wish my mom would quit asking me to move out of the basement.

1. G.L. spouting about flying to Europe, his "choices" & great hotels, slamming SWA, but then dropping a quick "but I like your stews" comment to make him look better.....oh and ending with "That's FANTASTIC"

2. "mesa sucks"

next...

3. This message is hidden because Tanker Clown is on your ignore list.

2. "mesa sucks"

next...

Wow! That was funny and FANTASTIC. How about anything to do with Lubbock? Anyone who flies in there now will think of me. FRICKEN FANTASTIC!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back