• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA living in Orlando

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No it takes me an 1 hour and 10 minutes from house to airport parking lot.
After 12 years I can look at my watch and say exactly when I'll pull in my driveway. Traffic is also that predictable. The turnpike north out of Orlando has gotten a little slow when a hurricane is nearing.

Good tips.

>>>Oh, and if you do buy into SW Orlando be prepared to drive the latest and hippest cars or else you won't fit in - joking somewhat.<<<

Yep, that area's yuppyville, kinda crowded, and traffic can be tough.

The coast is nice but you'll pay a little more for being close to the beach. Someone mentioned the Oviedo area to the NE of Orlando. My brother lives there. Nice area and a little less expensive than Windermere/Dr Phillips...easy access to MCO on the 417. The central little town of Oviedo itself is nice and tries to be like Mayberry in some ways. Chickens running loose in the roads and the Townhouse Restaraunt has a good breakfast. Good schools in general. Growing fast and starting to get a little crowded but worth a look. Nice family area. New developments and nice older homes in Tuskawilla. Not too bad a drive to the beaches either. Be sure and check that area out.

Stoneybrook is fine, but a busy crowded area, however shopping, restaraunts, etc are very convenient.

Nicer parts of Winter Park are great but it's gotten very pricey. It's all the rage to buy an old house and fix it up.

If you (he) don't mind the drive to MCO, up the road towards Clermont and also on to Ocala are also worth checking out.

Plenty of nice areas all around in general.

Since we're sort of on the subject;

Anyone currently on the property have an idea of how long it's taking newhires to hold MCO? How long to hold a line?

Thanks for the input.

Agree!!!!

MDP727 said:
No it takes me an 1 hour and 10 minutes from house to airport parking lot.
After 12 years I can look at my watch and say exactly when I'll pull in my driveway. Traffic is also that predictable. The turnpike north out of Orlando has gotten a little slow when a hurricane is nearing.

I live west of OCF and the drive to the MCO employee lot is 1+22. The only thing to be careful when considering Ocala is to ensure you buy in a A+ school's district or get on the waiting lists for private schools early. We have our kids in private school and the wait was worst than the one waiting to find out if I was hired by my current employer. I've lived in Orlando my entire life and my family is considering joining me in Ocala to get away from the congestion and traffic.

Good luck looking

Ocala is the place for me too! 1+20 to the parking lot. I sat reserve for 14 months from my house, I just had to make sure I was ready to go within 10 minutes for a 2 hour reserve call. I only had 2 short notice (check in in 2 hours) calls during that time.

KT

Oviedo....the only town in Central (if not all of) Florida where ALL schools are A-rated. This is likely a large contributing factor as to why the property values in Oviedo have outpaced the already impressive year-over-year increases found in the rest of Central Florida. That, and we just past a law forbidding any new sex-offenders from living in Oviedo...which excludes most Pilots. :)

Literally 100% value increase in most of Oviedo over the past year. $400,000 will buy you a nice resale home under 3,000 square feet in Oviedo, unless you opt for a less desirable neighborhood in Oviedo...there are a few. A new-construction 2,500+ sqft home in a nice neighborhood in Oviedo pushes $500,000 now...that's if you are 'lucky' enough to get selected in one of the builders' 'lotteries'.

Whatever you do, don't buy South of Rt. 50...in East or West Orlando.

Thank you all so much. You really are providing some great feedback. Schools are obviously important for our kids and I'm glad to see the responses include that as a factor.

Much like some of you, driving an hour plus is no big deal for my husband (so he says!) because it's only a few times every month.

From what I'm hearing N-NE is where I can sort of get out of city proper and also get a little more bang for the buck.

I'll keep reading so keep writing. And not to shift gears too much, what's the feedback on Baltimore (I fear writing that because I hate the cold!).

Thanks again,
the "Whiff"

Zephyrhills said:
Whatever you do, don't buy South of Rt. 50...in East or West Orlando.

Well, it's too late for Tiger, Shack, Grant, et.al. They all bought south of Rt.50 in Southwest Orlando - Windermere/Islesworth/Dr. Phillips.

Dr. Phillips/Windermere area....a very localized nice part that is South of Rt. 50 but, other than Kissimmee, has the worse tourist traffic. If you can afford several million to live on one of the Chain of Lakes like Shak, then yes, South of Rt. 50 can be VERY NICE!

As an aside, Dr. Phillips High School used to be a 'C' school, until last year when they earned a 'B'. Not bad for an Orange County School, but not good enough if they are looking for 'A' Schools for their kids.

Last edited:
Most will probably laugh but in DeLand, Fl there is this new community called Victoria Park. One mile off I-4.

http://www.joetowns.com/victoriapark/golf.asp

MCO is less than 1 hour away, live on a top rated golf course $115 to play in the winter. Now its $60 in the summer. Bought less than a year and will have a 50% return if I sell it today. Southern Living showcased a $2+ million house in July or August issue. Only 300 of the 4,000 houses here are built. There is a strong showing of airline types from regional to retired pilots and flight attendants.

The elementary school is on the property, A rated. Currently there are three neighborhoods the Gardens mostly older retired, The Commons mostly younger families then The Hills 60/40 young families to older families with houses around the golf coarse.
If you have a problem, you can go and knock on the mayor's, fire chief or police chiefs door. All live in The Hills development.

DeLand itself is a little lacking but Orlando and Daytona shopping is 15 minutes away. In 3-5 years, growing Orlando will be in DeLand.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back