Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA letters of "Thanks but no thanks, see ya next year.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Boz,

You got a package (sts) in at FDX? I'm sure we have a bunch of former marines (and one ex-AF F-15 driver) that would love to help you here.

PS...thought police lurk everywhere.

:-) said:
OffHot, your quoted post could lead to a breakthru. If you are able, please expound upon this "Our modified interview procedures, to include the LOI, was developed by a pilot.".

Are you telling me that a pilot decided upon the TMAAT format and wrote the questions?

If so, was/is that pilot either a psychologist or a psychiatrist?

Why did that pilot choose aviation subjects (I admit to having slightly old info, please fell free to correct me and state the nature of the current question bank) instead of general TMAAT questions?

Are the interviewers properly trained mental health professionals?
Even more to the point, can the TMAAT/personality type/behavioral interview be adeqautely administered by anyone less than a trained mental health professional?
If not, how are the SWA pilot interviewers actually trained?

Is the interviewer allowed to make whatever comment she/he chooses on the eval form, or do they have to follow the format of the "system"? That is, can the interviewer skip the S/A/R form and just write his evaluation of the applicants personality type?
Who wrote the eval form?

Please explain this, "The PD are the administrators of the process".
Does this mean that they present all of the applicants to the DB?, or do they have the ability to eliminate some applicants before their package reaches the DB?
Is they can eliminate applicants before the DB, then they must have more than an administrative role in the process. If they can't eliminate someone i.e., if they present all interviewees to the DB, then what does the PD actually accomplish?

I'm not trying to demean anyone in the PD, I only wish that my employer had a PD instead of an HR department, I'm just trying to get a handle on the system.

On a personal note to an undisclosed member, I'm trying here to avoid disparaging the system. Let me know if I succeeded. ;) Also, sorry, I just couldn't resist one more discussion before I go.

Spaceman Spiff

Spiff,
I'm trying to avoid getting PO'd here. I'll let you know if I succeed. I am not sure what you think the process should be. Do you want to sit on couch and talk about your mother? The pilot group gets massive input into what kind of folks we want to spend almost half of our lives with.
I understad folks are frustrated, but do you REALLY think that:
- we should hire every applicant who looks good on paper?
- we should have an interview process/environment that makes you feel unwanted? Maybe if we were meaner at the interview the rejection wouldn't sting as much?
- the process should be completely objective wth human resource gurus and psychiatrists telling the pilots who we should work with?

Frankly, every critisism of the process that I've read here boils down to one of these three issues. That being the case I hope we stick with what we've got. How you can compare smiles and handshakes to the head games and quotas of the airlines you are comparing us to is beyond me.

In the end, it is what it is. Our hiring percentages are about the same as they've always been. Haveing the type has never increased your chances of getting hired, but in this environment it is awfully hard to get to the interview without it. That is a shame, when the industry recovers it will get back to the way it used to be, and you can laugh at us and call us regional pilots again. In the end my advice is what it has always been -the type is awfully expensive, don't get it unless you are willing to reinterview. And under NO circumstances think that getting the type gets you the job.

Good luck all.

I think the PFT argument doesn't really hold water with SWA. The type rating on a US FAA ATP can be used anywhere in the world practically.

The old days of paying for a F/O slot on some weed-whacker that wasn't even even a type rating to begin with was just an example of exploitation.

Last edited:
If everyone would just stop buying the type ratings, they would be forced to interview more people without it. Once again, we are our own worst enemy.

My app is in, no type. Not waiting by the phone, either.

ivauir said:
- we should have an interview process/environment that makes you feel unwanted? Maybe if we were meaner at the interview the rejection wouldn't sting as much?
- the process should be completely objective wth human resource gurus and psychiatrists telling the pilots who we should work with?

Why not???? Seriously. Before you answer, realize that you and most others in the airline industry are tainted with this attitude and mindset because things have been this way for so long. It doesn't work like this in many other jobs in this country. If a person meets all the qualifications, has recommendations from others within the company that can be verified, clean record, etc, then all that should be left to determiine is if the applicant is a COMPLETE tool!!! This policy of interviewing 20 folks for only three slots is silly. But because it has been this way for so long, everyone just accepts it as the norm.

HR should be there to ONLY fill out forms, make phone calls, set up interview dates and travel arrangements, and perform background checks. Give me one good reason why a company HR department, FROM ANY COMPANY, AVIATION OR NON AVIATION, shoud have any say in the actual hiring process. They shouldn't and outside aviation, for the MOST part, they don't. The ONLY people with a say in the hiring decision should be the potential new-hire's future supervisor/manager.

Lets say, just as an example, you are a manager and need an extra new-hire because your department/flight department/domicile, etc is getting short handed. WHY WOULD YOU ALLOW SOMEONE (HR) TO MAKE A DECISION FOR YOU THAT WILL NEVER HAVE THAT APPLICANT WORK FOR THEM? It makes no sense. Some HR person gets to say yeay/nay, then never sees the applicant again except in passing. Meanwhile, the manager/chelf pilot/etc is stuck with a person that may have not been THEIR first choice. Makes no sense.

I seem to remember hearing that, back in the day, all hiring interviews were conducted by one or two chief piplots, AFTER reviewing an applicants qualifications, then MAYBE a sim check or flight to see how well he/she handled an a/c. What happened to that format???

I've read on THESE very boards about guys, not just with SWA but throughout the industry, with 3-4 times the minimum requirements, multiple STRONG LORs, Chief pilot recommendations, glowing background checks, etc, and others who can attest the the person in question is a good guy and would fit in well, only to get a "no thanks" letter and leaving them with a WTF. How many of them were because of some HR input that, lets be honest, knows very little about flying and will never have to spend a 3-4 day trip with the applicant.

I just fail to see the logic in this type of process. NOT BITTER :D Just fail to see the logic and think others should be asking the same questions.

Last edited:
ivauir said:
Spiff,
I'm trying to avoid getting PO'd here. I'll let you know if I succeed. I am not sure what you think the process should be. Do you want to sit on couch and talk about your mother? The pilot group gets massive input into what kind of folks we want to spend almost half of our lives with.

Frankly, every critisism of the process that I've read here boils down to one of these three issues. That being the case I hope we stick with what we've got. How you can compare smiles and handshakes to the head games and quotas of the airlines you are comparing us to is beyond me.

In the end, it is what it is. Our hiring percentages are about the same as they've always been. Haveing the type has never increased your chances of getting hired, but in this environment it is awfully hard to get to the interview without it. That is a shame, when the industry recovers it will get back to the way it used to be, and you can laugh at us and call us regional pilots again. In the end my advice is what it has always been -the type is awfully expensive, don't get it unless you are willing to reinterview. And under NO circumstances think that getting the type gets you the job.

Good luck all.

ivauir, I started writing a less than calm response and then realized that you're just taking out your frustration about the anti-SWA stuff against me. Please go back and re-read my last post. I'm not anti-SWA, I'm not anti-PD. Heck, I'm not even anti-behavioral interview. I do happen to have a little education and know that the TMAAT interview process is deeper than a lot of you SWA dudes seem to realize. I ask questions for two purposes. One, in an attempt to get a handle on the exact methodology that SWA uses, and Two, to find a way to succeed if I ever get a second chance. I don't expect anyone who's been hired in the last ten years to criticize the process, nor do I intend to cut the process down. If I'm guilty of anything, it is in getting ever so slightly off center when ya'll defend a process that I seriously doubt you truly know anything about.

OffHot offered a fact, or at least offered what I took him to mean as a fact. I ask him to expound upon that fact. If a pilot did in fact develop the process, and if OffHot has knowledge, I desire to dig that knowledge from him. After all, he originally offered. I didn't just decide to go off and piss you off by dis-in your system. I may have done that in the past, but not today.

If you have any answers to the questions I posed, please post em.

Again, I'm not trying to drag the system down, I'm trying to find a way to succeed in it. Help me out and someday we'll sit around the bar laughing at all of those guys who let negativity slow em down.

Calvin, trying hard to stay positive. If only for myself.

& for hobbes. He doesn't like being left out.

fugghedabowdit said:
If everyone would just stop buying the type ratings, they would be forced to interview more people without it.

And if everyone would just stop showing up for class at the regionals for a job that pays $20/hr they would be forced to increase the pay. Not holding my breath for that to happen, either. After all, a stand-up guy like yourself knocked people out of the way rushing to take YOUR $20k a year job.

Lets say, just as an example, you are a manager and need an extra new-hire because your department/flight department/domicile, etc is getting short handed. WHY WOULD YOU ALLOW SOMEONE (HR) TO MAKE A DECISION FOR YOU THAT WILL NEVER HAVE THAT APPLICANT WORK FOR THEM? It makes no sense. Some HR person gets to say yeay/nay, then never sees the applicant again except in passing. Meanwhile, the manager/chelf pilot/etc is stuck with a person that may have not been THEIR first choice. Makes no sense

HR is there to make sure females and minorities get hired, even if they are not the most qualified.

Gotta fill those EEOC quotas so all of those Affirmative Action a-holes don't get their panties in a bunch.

Never mind that the middle-age white male is a minority in this country.

bozt45 said:

Why not????
Because the pilot group doesn't want them to.

Seriously. Before you answer, realize that you and most others in the airline industry are tainted with this attitude and mindset because things have been this way for so long. It doesn't work like this in many other jobs in this country. If a person meets all the qualifications, has recommendations from others within the company that can be verified, clean record, etc, then all that should be left to determiine is if the applicant is a COMPLETE tool!!! This policy of interviewing 20 folks for only three slots is silly.

Why do you think there are "slots"? There aren't, they can hire as many as they want on a given day.

But because it has been this way for so long, everyone just accepts it as the norm.

HR should be there to ONLY fill out forms, make phone calls, set up interview dates and travel arrangements, and perform background checks.

What makes you think their input goes beyond this? The PD is not the decision board, they get inputs, but the vast majority of decision makers in this process are pilots.

Give me one good reason why a company HR department, FROM ANY COMPANY, AVIATION OR NON AVIATION, shoud have any say in the actual hiring process. They shouldn't and outside aviation, for the MOST part, they don't. The ONLY people with a say in the hiring decision should be the potential new-hire's future supervisor/manager.

Actually a lot of folks get inputs to the decsion board, gate agents, ops agents, flight attendants. Lots of folks have doomed themselves by looking down on non pilot eployees.

Lets say, just as an example, you are a manager and need an extra new-hire because your department/flight department/domicile, etc is getting short handed. WHY WOULD YOU ALLOW SOMEONE (HR) TO MAKE A DECISION FOR YOU THAT WILL NEVER HAVE THAT APPLICANT WORK FOR THEM? It makes no sense. Some HR person gets to say yeay/nay, then never sees the applicant again except in passing. Meanwhile, the manager/chelf pilot/etc is stuck with a person that may have not been THEIR first choice. Makes no sense.

If you were a chief pilots first choice you would be on property. It was not the PD that shot you down.

I seem to remember hearing that, back in the day, all hiring interviews were conducted by one or two chief piplots, AFTER reviewing an applicants qualifications, then MAYBE a sim check or flight to see how well he/she handled an a/c. What happened to that format???

I've read on THESE very boards about guys, not just with SWA but throughout the industry, with 3-4 times the minimum requirements, multiple STRONG LORs, Chief pilot recommendations, glowing background checks, etc, and others who can attest the the person in question is a good guy and would fit in well, only to get a "no thanks" letter and leaving them with a WTF. How many of them were because of some HR input that, lets be honest, knows very little about flying and will never have to spend a 3-4 day trip with the applicant.

Again, the reason we don't hire everybody that we interview is because the pilots want to screen out who we spend a 3-4 day trip with.

I just fail to see the logic in this type of process. NOT BITTER :D Just fail to see the logic and think others should be asking the same questions.

I think you need to stop asking questions about the internal mechanisms of SWA's interview process. I fail to see the logic of you wasting your time and energy critiqueing something you can not influence.
I know this is a low point and some folks here are just venting, and I guess I should just let it go. Good luck, I hope something works out soon.

Latest resources

Back